Yahoo! CEO: I Would Have Sold to Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Yahoo is old news. Microsoft probably made the right move bringing something fresh that has the chance of success like Bing rather than teach an old dog like Yahoo, new tricks.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]doomtomb[/nom]Yahoo is old news. Microsoft probably made the right move bringing something fresh that has the chance of success like Bing rather than teach an old dog like Yahoo, new tricks.[/citation]
Yeah, I agree. If he is not now, I'll bet Jerry Yang will be kicking himself in the future for not cashing out when he had the chance.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]montezuma[/nom]Yahoo is just mad that they are nowhere near as successful as Google.[/citation]
Agreed, but then again, Google only does search. They have other crap, but none of it is big ticket, and none of it is #1 like their search. Wouldn't you be upset if your neighbor made more than you for doing less?

Yes, I use their search, and have a Gmail account (not my primary), and like Google Earth, but I wouldn't pay for any of it. I certainly don't think Google should be a $30 billion dollar company (just like I think Microsoft would have been crazy to actually pay $40+ billion for Yahoo).

You'd think we would have learned from the first internet bubble bursting, the internet is a means of distributing information. It is NOT a big bank where you get to print your own money just because you know HTML. The acquisitions of Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, etc.. will prove disastrous in the end, a couple years from now, when no one gives a crap about any of those sites.

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Carol Bartz[/nom]I wake up and say, 'What's happening?'[/citation]
Yeah, I do but then I pull up Tom's, Wired or CNN...never Yahoo.

CChick

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
I think Jerry made the right move by NOT selling Yahoo.

Yahoo, after it got beaten by Google, seems kind of lost. like they dont know what they should do after.

They were stupid enough not to use their Brand image at its full potential.

Now Yahoo is being run by a dumb bitch, never a search company my ass.

Yahoo just gonna get worst. watch.

Carol Bartz just may get that company going. She's right though, as to me yahoo stopped being about search along time ago. Their chat rooms use to be popular back when they allowed user rooms, but since the spam bot problem got out of control and they didn't do anything about it there are just alot of bots spamming each other. Yahoo had groups and page profiles way before myspace, so to me it really missed the boat on social networking and now it's a bit late to try and catch up. It's gonna be hard cleaning up the mess that Yang left that's for sure.

bachok83

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
Not a search company? Thanks for telling us.. :)

Yahoo! doesnt put a big search box on their website. Wait, erk, they do.. nevermind..

G

Hmmm, when I wake up in the morning I say, "Dangit! It's morning already?" Then I go back to sleep. Do they have a page for that? -_-

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]notamorningperson[/nom]Hmmm, when I wake up in the morning I say, "Dangit! It's morning already?" Then I go back to sleep. Do they have a page for that? -_-[/citation]
Yes, there it is.

Hahahaha kidding :)

ptroen

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Well before you start talking slick people marketing speak let's be clear, yahoo isn't facebook or myspace. It's a collection of stapled together pages that was built around before google was dominate. However now it's different. You have different brands built around a particular niche and google linking them altogether with their dominating search position in the market. That's not to say their other search engines but that's not yahoo's business so at the end of day you have eroding business model. Worse google has practically every service that Yahoo! offers. So yeah Yahoo! is a mess.

[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]Yeah, I agree. If he is not now, I'll bet Jerry Yang will be kicking himself in the future for not cashing out when he had the chance.[/citation]

He's probably already kicking himself for the mistake.

pender21

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
Yahoo was always mismanaged. They had smart people but kept releasing services that would only be abandoned and unsupported by yahoo a few months later. This was very apparent with their maps services a few years ago that used flash instead of an Ajax like engine like google. It did not print well and was scrapped a few months later (now it is fine though). As a result most people who review web services are not interested in anything yahoo was announcing. They appear to be a company that has no idea what they are doing and where they are going, because their website (their main search screen) is cluttered with categorized links. Microsoft is the same with their web services, but they sell desktop and enterprise software first (their cash cow) so it is a non issue for them.

krunk666

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
Yea yahoo really sucks after they're new Yahoo homepage, with all that tab popping BS. My new homepage is now iGoogle.

cwolf78

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
I use Bing every once and awhile to compare it to Google (which is what I normally use). Occasionally Bing surprises me with good results, but 90% of the time, Google has far more relevant links.

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
I never knew Jerry Yang was CEO of Yahoo!?...

I guess he doesn't need that World Series of Poker money. *shrugs* I'd still keep the bracelet though. Well I guess it all makes sense - Leave Yahoo!, play in WSOP, win bracelet, prove to people he can gamble with the big Dogs like MS. WOOT!

Status
Not open for further replies.