Yahoo! CEO Offers Employees Free iPhone 5, Androids, WP8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems a bit surprising that they would approve Android given that Google is their chief rival. Although personally if I was an employee I'd rather get a bonus or extra vacation instead of some gadget and phone bill paid for. With my employer being able to track all my personal phone calls and usage. Actually unless it was just something were they compensate me on my bill I'd just shut off the phone and put it in some drawer then use my own phone and bill I pay for without employer oversight.

Is this just a company phone like any number of companies require there employees to carry? If so how is this news? It seems to be pretty standard for many companies to provide company phones to employees with the bill paid for.

[citation][nom]velocityg4[/nom]Seems a bit surprising that they would approve Android given that Google is their chief rival. Although personally if I was an employee I'd rather get a bonus or extra vacation instead of some gadget and phone bill paid for. With my employer being able to track all my personal phone calls and usage. Actually unless it was just something were they compensate me on my bill I'd just shut off the phone and put it in some drawer then use my own phone and bill I pay for without employer oversight.Is this just a company phone like any number of companies require there employees to carry? If so how is this news? It seems to be pretty standard for many companies to provide company phones to employees with the bill paid for.[/citation]

Rival in what? Google powers the Yahoo search engine and has for quite a while now.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Neat.

I've heard discussions/rumors that Yahoo is out-of-touch with the entire mobile platform. While they make mobile apps for various things, they're not very responsive to the mobile platform as a whole. I wonder if doing this--in addition to requesting your employees to be available all the time now that they have work phones--is a way to get the entire company more ingrained in mobile (and maybe hinting a change of business strategy?).

Also, literally ALL yahoo employees? Or a certain level and above?

svdb

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Somebody high up in my (very large) company suddenly decided our stuff had to run on tablets. So one morning my manager came to see me and asked, "um... you wouldn't happen to posses a tablet per chance?"

samwelaye

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Rival in what? Google powers the Yahoo search engine and has for quite a while now.[/citation]

Umm Bing powers the Yahoo search engine and has for a while now...

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Rival in what? Google powers the Yahoo search engine and has for quite a while now.[/citation]

Check your facts douche!
Yahoo searches are and have been powered by Bing for a long time now.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]velocityg4[/nom]Seems a bit surprising that they would approve Android given that Google is their chief rival. Although personally if I was an employee I'd rather get a bonus or extra vacation instead of some gadget and phone bill paid for. With my employer being able to track all my personal phone calls and usage. Actually unless it was just something were they compensate me on my bill I'd just shut off the phone and put it in some drawer then use my own phone and bill I pay for without employer oversight.Is this just a company phone like any number of companies require there employees to carry? If so how is this news? It seems to be pretty standard for many companies to provide company phones to employees with the bill paid for.[/citation]
I don't think google is their chief rival, but even if it were, their userbase is largely composed of mobile--so they have to have a good handle on iOS, Android, and (eventually) WP. It's no different than google making apps for the Apple app store. Like it or not, a significant portion of your userbase might lie in "competing" services--but you're at a huge loss if you don't address that.

G

So that's why I don't use Yahoo! for search results anymore. I have actually done back to back tests using both Google and Yahoo! search engines and more often than not I get better results on Google. I used to use Yahoo! all the time but it figures why it's search results are not as good. Powered by Bing. Yeah I tried that search/decision engine a few times before. Ghey...

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Sounds like a smart move, it raises moral especially for the younger people who stereo typically love technology. Less need to support multiple types of devices if they allow their employees to use their phones to check emails, for work etc. Not to mention they will have complete control of the devices, and each one should easily be able to be remotely wiped and probably encrypted. Beyond the higher than normal upfront cost and possibly higher cost of service fees for the phones I don't really see a major downside.

I would argue that smartphones are harder to use over "dumb" phones but well I have a hard time navigating my dads phone where as most smartphones have a interface that makes more logical sense and is easier to read.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]massterphul[/nom]So that's why I don't use Yahoo! for search results anymore. I have actually done back to back tests using both Google and Yahoo! search engines and more often than not I get better results on Google. I used to use Yahoo! all the time but it figures why it's search results are not as good. Powered by Bing. Yeah I tried that search/decision engine a few times before. Ghey...[/citation]
Yahoo may have fall in terms of popularity as a search engine, but they're a leader when it comes to providing content (not just sharing news, but they actually have investigative journalist staff that covers a wide range of subjects). IMHO, Yahoo should embrace the content-providing rather than trying to drastically re-design their business. I don't go to yahoo on a desktop computer, but I think their news RSS feeds are pretty good for information on various things.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]velocityg4[/nom]Seems Although personally if I was an employee I'd rather get a bonus or extra vacation instead of some gadget and phone bill paid for.[/citation][citation][nom]blurr91[/nom]I'd take a raise over some cheap electronic gadgets.[/citation]That doesn't benefit the company. Giving out free phones DOES benefit the company. It's called "eating your own dog food". Look it up. So while you might prefer a raise, it's either free phone (with a free plan too) or nothing. They didn't CUT pay to cover it, so why would anyone complain? Are we so entitled in this country that we bitch about free stuff?

G

i work for IBM, we have to buy our own phones for WORK. stop moaning.

[citation][nom]harrym0use[/nom]i work for IBM, we have to buy our own phones for WORK. stop moaning.[/citation]

WOW. I'd tell IBM to F-off then. Either they buy a company phone and pay for it or I don't work for them. That's almost as stupid as a company that tried to make me buy my own LAPTOP for work...just weeks AFTER I was hired. They did give reimbursement expenses in the paycheck, but it would have taken a full year to get that money back. I told them to F-off...shortest three weeks I ever worked for someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.