Yahoo Kills GeoCities Today

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
I posted a site in 1999 with geocities, I can say back then HTML was big and we used notepad rather than MSofts webmaker.... The old school days.... now we have easy child like facebook and the crap they put up today are too easy for kids it makes me sick....

OG geocities was the og facebook when websites and pages were truly unique and do it yourself kind of stuff.... creativity at its best in the early days of 'networking'........

henrystrawn

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
I used Geocities for my first website. I wrote the whole thing in code. I didn't know M$ Frontpage and Dreamweaver existed. I thought that how everybody did it.

tanderskey

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
i used geocities too but even within about the first month it began to become irrelevant because they so often blocked my site or specific pages of my site when it would briefly surge in popularity. and we arent talking a lot of hits here ... truth be told, i'm not that popular. we're talking run of the mill type traffic like me posting a link from a forum like this and having visitors drop by to see pictures from my recent motorcycle trip or read what amounted to a blog posting and yahoo would would turn on its blocks.

so with that blocking, especially during my popular moments, i moved on almost as soon as i started there.

sayonara geocities. rip.

G

I created a Geocities website to blog about digital cameras and movie cameras when they were VGA resolution in 1998! I stopped updating in 2000 and Geocities emailed me that they were going to delete it for inactivity. Then it was bought by Yahoo and I got more deletion emails. Despite all that it wouldn't go away and when I just checked it now, it is still up! Where the heck is this thing being cached at?!?!

werd

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
RIP geocites. It has always been pure nostalgia when i run across one of your pages in a search. Brings me back to a time when there was no twitter, myspace, youtube, or facebook. The amateurish sites brought a real feel of authenticity to the young interweb. I had a cheat codes site back around 96-97, at the young age of 8-9 years old. IDDQD anyone?

PS. Just realized that it was actually geocit*IES*. All these years of calling it geo-sites lmfao.

tiredwolf

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
geoshi***** is dead? Can't really say im sad that I won't see those crappy massive single body paragraph web pages from google searches anymore. If you miss it you can always go to archive.org

kutark

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
I'm so happy to read this. I've hated geocities since the first day i saw it. I'm pretty sure most pc enthusiasts back in that day hated it too. Got tired of all the utterly useless search results that would come up on altavista and such. Anyways. Good riddance.

Status
Not open for further replies.