Yahoo!: We Could Use Google or Bing Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I've always thought Excite was a better portal than Yahoo, and with Yahoo obviously lost and trying to find itself, I see no reason to change.

I think Yahoo, like AOL, have worn out their usefulness and should just go away.

Also, selling out to Microsoft made me less inclined to use them. I don't like Microsoft, but more than that, I don't want them to be successful because I think it's important to have a balance of power. They still own the operating systems and office apps; they don't need to own the internet. I'm more comfortable having Google in that situation.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]I've always thought Excite was a better portal than Yahoo, and with Yahoo obviously lost and trying to find itself, I see no reason to change. I think Yahoo, like AOL, have worn out their usefulness and should just go away.Also, selling out to Microsoft made me less inclined to use them. I don't like Microsoft, but more than that, I don't want them to be successful because I think it's important to have a balance of power. They still own the operating systems and office apps; they don't need to own the internet. I'm more comfortable having Google in that situation.[/citation]
Absolute power... Doesn't matter the company, it all turns out the same and all companies struggle to be top at everything they do, Google is trying to do the same now and will get as many haters as MS has if/when they get there.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]Absolute power... Doesn't matter the company, it all turns out the same and all companies struggle to be top at everything they do, Google is trying to do the same now and will get as many haters as MS has if/when they get there.[/citation]

preach on brotha

G

Eh, I've never found portal sites to be useful. I come here for news, I use the Weather Bug Firefox plugin, my email is hosted on my own VPS, and I use Scroogle for searches.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
At least Yahoo realizes they are out of the game and are trying to adapt but I'd prefer a straight up Google homepage with my Gmail over Yahoo emulating Google....

sailfish

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
I've never used Yahoo as my homepage even though they provide my internet access via ATT. Actually, I've never been into using any portal homepage and instead have a local page that contains the links to the essential pages I reference on a daily basis.

So, I guess my answer to you question would be, "No".

G

I actually love the new Yahoo!. I think they are pioneering yet another trend that we'll see as commonplace in the near future. BTW, I didn't realize Excite even existed any more LOL!

naterandrews

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Wow. It would be the "old" Yahoo! all over again if this happens; Yahoo search powered by Google- after they've spent billions to compete with them for years.

I think I would go back to Yahoo! if they let me opt in with Google search. I love Yahoo Mail having unlimited storage, along with integration with Flickr, etc.- that'd be great news. Realistically though, I don't see this happening. Yahoo and Google would have to (yet again) try to create some sort of partnership to split display/textual advertising dollars displayed via the Yahoo pages. With a pending Microsoft deal this also makes no sense. It's always good to dream though!

zendragon

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Not sure why so many people hate on Yahoo! I have been using Yahoo! as my homepage since at least 2001 and have never experienced any issues of any kind. The homepage, especially now, has alot of useful links, plus up-to-date news articles. My peronsal favorite, is a link to their huge database of HD move trailers. Also, in all the years ive used Yahoo! as a search engine, I have always been able to find what im looking for. Don't recall ever having to resort to Google to find something. So again, not sure why all the hate for Yahoo! Although I guess most just jump on the bandwangon. If it's "cool" or "popular" to hate on something, might as well follow the crowd, right?

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
I use Yahoo! as my home page. It's well maintained and as the article points out, they are really expanding their reach and appeal to users of other portal services. Yes, I would stay in Yahoo's environment more if they offered BOTH Google and Bing as search engine options.

Status
Not open for further replies.