Yet Another ASUS Power Surging Problem

TheLozza

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014
Hey guys, I've read over 20 threads regarding anti-surging and random gaming restarts. But none are really clear and everyone seems to have different problems.
Anyway, about mine...

I released purchased AC Unity, (which is horribly optimised for PC according to many). However, my PC literally turns off and then turns back on saying "Power-surge detected, asus anti-surge enabled to protect PC" everytime I launch the game.

So I turned off Asus anti-surge support and the problem still persists. This also used to happen on my OLD PC when playing Metro Last Light but this is a new PC.

The fact it restarts on the main menu of the game suggests it cannot be something to do with 'not enough watts", and more to do with a massive fluctuation in power. Anyway I'm not the pro here.

Here is some voltage data and specs.

Intel Core i5 2400 @ 3.1 Ghz --------------- C1E support and all that is on so the multiplier is always around 16 instead of 34... even though I turn it off, it remains low.

GTX760 - sometimes I used an OC button but I also tried launching the game without OC.... still restarts.
(latest nvidia drivers)

ASUS H61M-E - latest bios update, not sure about any other drivers.

16 GB Kingston 1333 RAM

Windows 64 bit

3 Fans excluding CPU fan. 1 with blue lights.

Here's some HWMonitor data, I don't know how to read it so maybe there could be a problem here.
image.jpg

Cheers!

TheLozza

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014

As far as I know it's 450-500W. The brand is unknown however I will check it again tonight incase I've misread something.
The only thing that I do not understand, (I've worked with game programming and development for a long time), is why would the computer restart at the Main Menu. There is a slight change in power demand, but there's no graphical details being processed or anything incredible loading in the background. The main menu stays up for about 1-2 seconds, the main menu (before game launch) uses around 300mbs of ram and CPU is hardly under stress at about 10 % use.

Could it still be to do with not enough voltage or simply a setting in my bios that is causing the computer to restart after a fluctuation? (apart from anti-surge).

But I will check the brand tonight.

The GPU switches from 2d mode to 3d mode when you start the game, even though nothing is happening, all of a sudden there's a pull from the video card, the gpu and vram speed ramp up. My thought is you've got budget PSUs that can't handle the surge required of the video card. Just a thought though. While that's what it sounds like, the only real way to test it is to get a decent PSU and try it out. Try the card in another computer see if it does the same thing.

TheLozza

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014
I might just have to get a new one, but having said that are you aware of any other settings that could contribute, eg c1e, speedstep etc?

I can play Black Flag at max settings 60 fps without any crashes and same with Battlefield 4. It's really just AC Unity. But since this has happened before on another computer, I figured it must be a universal problem, not related to AC unity itself.

Thanks though!

I'm not aware of any other reasons like speedstep or lower frequency settings on the CPU. The only time those come into play that I know of is on Haswell chips with C6 or C7 because some PSUs weren't ready to deliver such low power to the CPU. Older chips are fine though.