Question Yoga c940 BSODs in windows, but throws "block probing" errors in linux

Aug 24, 2024
Lenovo Yoga c940 running win10 started crashing randomly with a BSOD several weeks ago. At first it was once a day, then more often, now it happens consistently every 1-5 minutes. No recent changes before this started happening. Nothing in the windows system logs except the critical "kernel-power" message indicating it rebooted without warning. Tried some general troubleshooting steps:
  • Intel drivers updated, firmware updated, windows update
  • Reset bios settings and twiddle all of the power settings (in windows and in the bios)
  • Ordered a new battery and swapped it out
No help. I was thinking it was fried, but I noticed that it never crashes when sitting at the bios config screen, which gave me hope. Booted up ubuntu from a flash drive, and it is not crashing or rebooting but it does pop up a "System program problem detected" error every few minutes with the title "block probing crashed with TimeoutError". I am betting/hoping that the issue causing BSOD in windows is the same issue causing the error popups in Linux, but no luck finding info about it or troubleshooting yet.

There's a lot of detail in the crash report that I can post if needed, but I don't think it's relevant; it's running "subiquity.cmd.server --use-os-prober," which I think is the bootstrap trying to see what OSes are installed, but I don't know if that points to this being an issue with the memory or disk or what. Troubleshooting advice welcome!