You Can Now Download The Windows 10 Creators Update

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
you know so many people complaining about windows 10 every single time it comes up with a new version is annoying, why not just forget windows and all the nay Sayers just use Linux or go fetch a mac. I don't know, hard to have a comprehensible conversation without constantly people bitching about stuff.

if windows people where acting this way in the mac forum the admins would be on them like hot sauce on ribs.

dstarr3

Distinguished

Yeah, the community here is strange. One article, the comments will be full of anti-MS remarks that are heavily upvoted, and other articles, the anti-MS remarks are downvoted into oblivion. Usually by the same people, even.

Bandwagoners.

funkdat

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013
I updated two of my PCs with no problem, but my main one freezes at 22% everything time during the update. Then it has to roll itself back.

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016

My PC, embarrassingly full of 5 year-old parts, updated just fine last night. No problems so far!

Also, just a friendly reminder that we're hosting AMD in a live AMA. Here's a direct link to the thread.

Be sure to ask a question and enter the raffle for your chance to win a ASRock X370 Taichi AM4 Motherboard:bounce:

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Well..I just updated a Dell XPS 13 and, while it took a while, seems to be successful. As posted earlier, I'll try later today to remove the Windows.old and Windows Update folders that were added and see if I can get the space back. Things seem to be working well...although I already have one complaint. I liked being able to get to control panel by right clicking the Windows Start button. That option is now gone. I had to search in Cortana and add it to my Start Menu or Taskbar. Can someone confirm if Microsoft just moved the link somewhere else?

USAFRet

Titan
1. Privacy settings
This is mostly like a clean install. It does not reset your Privacy settings to what MS wants, but as with your initial install, it gives you the option of turning it off upon first bootup.
bcgb9lK.png

(yes, I grabbed this screencap before I turned all that to OFF)

2. Cortana
As above and like a clean install, you don't have to accept Cortana
U9eK6ZB.png

3. Windows.old.
Yes, it creates Windows.old. Yes, Disk Cleanup gets rid of it. Even better than previous iterations.

chesscanoe

Prominent
Apr 6, 2017
After updating Windows 10 x64 Home from AU to CU, everything works well, with most prior preferences retained. However, I had AU set to not automatically update drivers and icons, and after I installed CU, I had to search for "device installation settings" and set my preferred choice again.

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007

Thanks. Upgraded our 3 computers. Windows.old wasn't too hard to get rid of...not like after Anniversary Update. I did notice on my desktop computer that the update created a 800MB recovery partition. I had to manually go in with Partition Wizard (Windows Disk Management wouldn't work) and merge it back up with the Windows partition.

TreborG2

Reputable
Apr 7, 2017

For anyone that's tried the update, inplace, and on Windows 10 Pro .. if you right click "This PC" either the desktop icon (yeah I'm one of *those* guys) or from the start menu or tried computer management from the right click of the start menu icon .. have you received the following UAC Prompt?

It seems the only user that didn't get this on my pc, was the actual "administrator" built in account.
Even a NEW user created after upgrading, and given administrator permissions, is facing this issue on my machine.

So.. back to the previous version I went .. and it was faster and smoother this time to revert than ever before... and everything was back to normal, I could right click, and get the computer management applet to work..

UAC-MMC.EXE-Publisher.png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e96k72gdzprfzm5/UAC-MMC.EXE-Publisher.png?dl=0

img

jrfoleyjr

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016
Improved Privacy Settings??? Everything that Micro$oft has done since Windows 7 has made MS more "big brother" with decreased privacy. Now you can not opt out of Cortana? Your computer is always listening, watching, reporting. Yup! Increased privacy, Sure. You betcha. Got it!

USAFRet

Titan

From my normal everyday user account, I did not get that UAC prompt.

trabtw

Reputable
Apr 13, 2015
Build 15063 loaded w/o notification on desktop. Sticky notes no longer functions and will not allow pin setup on lock screen. Mus use ID password.

Please, take a deep breath, yes Microsoft like your phone android has applications running in the background, they are called services and going to system administration, you can easily set it to not start.

Could it be done more easily by Microsoft, yes, but providing a long convoluted menu or choices to turn things on or off during install, is only there or not there because of the users defined as " users that really don't care" versus the "elite, paranoid and want a less bloated with apps loading" groups, we " elitists" are in a very small minority of users.

we are the 1% folks... lol.. 99% people that own computer, only care to do their stuff they know on it, browse the web and Facebook cat videos.

Maybe instead of ranting about windows 10, we should start worthy informational documents on " how to turn off telemetry, Cortana etc."

of course it annoys us that we have to do this. does MS care, no, does Android or Apple care.. no. we just live with it.

You are the next generation of " your life is but a number, not an individual , but a commodity"
Welcome to what we GEN-X have been complaining about since the 70's

like I said, Shutup10 is a great application, with a single click, Cortana among many other choices, is disable from loading it services.

Like Jonny Lee Miller (Dade aka Zero Cool) said in a movie most haven't heard before, " I can't beat you, but we can"

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Another question I'm hoping someone can help with. After update I ran sfc /scannow and got no corruption error. I then ran DISM Restore Health and got the source not found error. I downloaded and created a new Windows USB using Media Creation Tool and then used: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:esd:E:\Sources\Install.esd:1 /limitaccess where E: is the USB drive and confirmed on the drive that install.esd exists. I still get the source not found error. Any ideas how to fix DISM image?

So, I went ahead and took the plunge. It worked as expected. I am still on build 14393 and it wouldn't upgrade this os to build 15058.I tried the upgrade tool and then manual update through settings. Neither was successful. I did get a defender definition update as a consolation prize. Guess it depends where you are or something.

I did find something interesting yesterday. I NEVER use IE. I have maybe a little too much security in place. I ran Catzilla so that I could compare my performance to that of other users. The benchmarks get done and it tries to auto-open IE. Page can not be displayed. After further research I figured out I couldn't reach any site with IE. Tried just a few troubleshooting steps before coming on here to ask for help as I continued my journey through yet another problem. Long story short? Windows Firewall is blocking Windows Intenet Explorer. Thought it might have been my anti-beacon software. No way MS would block itself. Yes, there is a way. Still trying to wrap my head round that one. Went through the list and nothing stands out as being IE.

Anyways. The upgrade assistant failed with this PC.

https://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/52302-dism-problem-source-files-could-not-found.html ?

It may be as simple as 1 or 2...

Colif

Win 11 Master
I helped Mikeynavy already wiht same question in another thread he made, he was using the wrong source command. He was using one that uses the update files installed on the image, not an iso he downloaded. That is one of few dism commands that hasn't changed now that powershell replaced command prompt in right click menu

Odd things - so while control panel has disappeared from the windows button right click menu, I have a toolbar I made called desktop and oddly the control panel is showing as on the desktop even though I can't see it if I show icons. I can open it from the toolbar though.

They removed that from the menu? For anybody who uses Control Panel and aren't as technically savvy as Colif you can click start, scroll down to Windows System, left click that, right click over control panel, hover mouse pointer over more and click Pin To Taskbar. You have control panel back on top. There is also God mode but that can be TMI for some.

Colif

Win 11 Master
easier to just search cortana for control panel, right click and pin to start :)

all these don't help if task bar is broken and start menu doesn't open. Why you do this Microsoft?

See? Savvy. I don't need Cortana. I don't want Cortana telling daddy anything. Microsoft transparent? HA! Micrsoft broke their operating system again? Yep....

Colif

Win 11 Master
i have a local user not attached to an email address, Cortana doesn't work for me and I don't care. Cortana only acts as search on my pc, that is all I use it for.

I don't pretend that just cause its not doing anything that they aren't collecting data, just like Google and Apple do on phones. They collect usage data to improve things as well. Its not all evil. And if you read enough you figure out the hardware is where the actual corruption is taking place, sneaking things into EFI standards...

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007

Unfortunately, nothing has worked to fix this issue...I posted a similar question on Microsoft Answers and several people have chimed in saying they have the same issue. One has even tried reinstalling from scratch only to get the same missing source files error. It doesn't matter if it is install.wim or install.esd.

On a positive note, it looks like the new update now allows number pads to retain numberlock on when turning a computer on. I had experienced it, and read that it was a known annoyance from before...numberlock would stay on when you restarted a computer and when computer was being used. When you turned it off and started it again, the setting was forgotton and you had to push it again to log on with pin. Now it appears to be working regardless.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I wonder if its related to fact the update servers might not have the right version on them. Its not actually live till 11th so only those who knew it was coming have it early, and anyone who asks MS normally gets told to wait till the 11th

They need to fix it though

Status
Not open for further replies.