News You can use a full-sized GPU with ASRock's new Mini PC — DeskMate X600 only for China, priced at roughly $193 USD

chaz_music

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
This is awesome, but you should be careful when trying to use it. I might pair this with an external RAID enclosure.

"...but exactly how you're expected to dock and power that external GPU isn't quite clear..."

Oh yes, and if you did try to use an external PSU to power it, the common mode noise from the PSU will eat you alive unless you make a direct power common between the two systems as well as a housing ground strap/braid. I might also try adding common mode cores on the PCI bus cables if I have problems. Chose your PSU carefully and try to find one with low CM EMI to ground.

USAFRet

Titan
This is awesome, but you should be careful when trying to use it. I might pair this with an external RAID enclosure.

Oh yes, and if you did try to use an external PSU to power it, the common mode noise from the PSU will eat you alive unless you make a direct power common between the two systems as well as a housing ground strap/braid. I might also try adding common mode cores on the PCI bus cables if I have problems. Chose your PSU carefully and try to find one with low CM EMI to ground.
A solution in search of a problem.

Reactions: Amdlova

chaz_music

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
A solution in search of a problem.
Well, could be the wrong solution for the right problem. Due to noise and other issues, it might be plain simpler to use Thunderbolt, especially if they ramp up the fiber optic version. Then the noise problems go away inherently. I think it was BitUser who pointed this out a year or so ago.

Reactions: cyrusfox

Notton

Commendable
Dec 29, 2023
Asrock pulling a minisforum B550/B550 Pro, except they somehow managed to make it worse than the smaller company with less resources.

I don't get it, did minisforum have a patent on that design or something?

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Conceptually it sounds great. But the fact that you will have a GPU and PSU that sticks outside the main system is going to take up a lot of space. I feel they should have design the Deskmate in a way that allows you install a SFX PSU.