Question you must initialize a disk in disk management, new SSD

jamie6737

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
I just installed a new SSD and its not showing up in This pc. so i went to disk management and its giving me a box with initialize disk.

So do i just click ok?
29329552127_40ca51186d_b.jpg

What Windows version are you running? If you are running Windows 10 you may want to choose the GPT partition type for full UEFI support. If you are running an older version of Windows, then you will want to select MBR. MBR will work regardless of whether it is Windows 10 or an older version though.

jamie6737

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
What Windows version are you running? If you are running Windows 10 you may want to choose the GPT partition type for full UEFI support. If you are running an older version of Windows, then you will want to select MBR. MBR will work regardless of whether it is Windows 10 or an older version though.

I selected MBR but i still cant see it in This pc, what do i do? should i restart the PC?

I think i have to go through new sample volume setup right?

Yes, initialize, then create a simple volume (Partition) and then format, usually using NTFS if you are on any modern version of Windows. Might need to be FAT32, just for future reference, on external thumb drives that will be used in other devices.

1. Attach the SSD as a secondary drive and load Windows from your existing drive.
  2. In Windows 7 and earlier, open 'Disk Management' by right clicking on 'Computer' and selecting 'Manage', then 'Disk Management'. In Windows 8 and later, move the mouse to the lower left corner of your desktop and right-click on the Start Icon, then select Disk Management.
  3. When Disk Management opens, a pop-up should appear and prompt you to initialize the SSD.
  4. Select MBR (Master Boot Record) or GUID partition table (GPT) and click OK. MBR is best for certain legacy software compatibility, while GPT is better for modern systems.
  5. Right click in the area that says Unallocated and select New Simple Volume...
  6. The New Simple Volume Wizard will open, click Next
  7. Leave the Specify Volume Size as the maximum (default value) and click Next
  8. Select a Drive Letter and click Next
  9. In the Format Partition screen, decide on a Volume label (the name you want to give the drive) and click Next

Reactions: jamie6737

jamie6737

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Yes, initialize, then create a simple volume (Partition) and then format, usually using NTFS if you are on any modern version of Windows. Might need to be FAT32, just for future reference, on external thumb drives that will be used in other devices.

1. Attach the SSD as a secondary drive and load Windows from your existing drive.
  2. In Windows 7 and earlier, open 'Disk Management' by right clicking on 'Computer' and selecting 'Manage', then 'Disk Management'. In Windows 8 and later, move the mouse to the lower left corner of your desktop and right-click on the Start Icon, then select Disk Management.
  3. When Disk Management opens, a pop-up should appear and prompt you to initialize the SSD.
  4. Select MBR (Master Boot Record) or GUID partition table (GPT) and click OK. MBR is best for certain legacy software compatibility, while GPT is better for modern systems.
  5. Right click in the area that says Unallocated and select New Simple Volume...
  6. The New Simple Volume Wizard will open, click Next
  7. Leave the Specify Volume Size as the maximum (default value) and click Next
  8. Select a Drive Letter and click Next
  9. In the Format Partition screen, decide on a Volume label (the name you want to give the drive) and click Next

Ok thanks