You think therefore you are

Max

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003

If you started up an IF and, without introduction, room description, or
anything else, it displayed...

You think therefore you are.

....what would you type?

--Max

"Max" <remove_this_rabkin@mweb.co.za> skrev i melding
> If you started up an IF and, without introduction, room description, or
> anything else, it displayed...
>
> You think therefore you are.
>

> ...what would you type?
>
> --Max

x me
look
think
stop thinking

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, Max wrote:

> If you started up an IF and, without introduction, room description, or
> anything else, it displayed...
>
> You think therefore you are.
>

> ...what would you type?

Probably "think", followed by "x me" depending on the response.

|| Quintin Stone O- > "You speak of necessary evil? One ||
|| Code Monkey < of those necessities is that if ||
|| Rebel Programmers Society > innocents must suffer, the guilty must ||
|| stone@rps.net < suffer more." -- Mackenzie Calhoun ||
|| http://www.rps.net/QS/ > "Once Burned" by Peter David ||

Here, Quintin Stone <stone@rps.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, Max wrote:
>
> > If you started up an IF and, without introduction, room description, or
> > anything else, it displayed...
> >
> > You think therefore you are.
> >

> > ...what would you type?
>
> Probably "think", followed by "x me" depending on the response.

"x me", "look", then "i" if the game had left me uncertain about
possessions.

"think" would come along eventually, but hopefully one of the first
two responses would make it clearer that that was the tenor of the
game.

--Z

*

"Max" <remove_this_rabkin@mweb.co.za> wrote in message
> If you started up an IF and, without introduction, room description, or
> anything else, it displayed...
>
> You think therefore you are.
>

> ...what would you type?
>
> --Max

---> Quit.

"David Whyld" <me@dwhyld.plus.com> wrote in message

>> ...what would you type?
>>
> ---> Quit.

Although I had to laugh at this one, I do think it's a serious response. I
think there's a lot of merit into having at least some sort of background
story in IF. That is, of course, assuming that this would be a full game to
be completed. If there wasn't, I'd probably be annoyed anyway and give up
before even trying...

.... at which point, of course, you discover that the response is "There
is no way outside the world you've made for yourself," followed by
another prompt.

"Max" <remove_this_rabkin@mweb.co.za> wrote:
> If you started up an IF and, without introduction, room description, or
> anything else, it displayed...
>
> You think therefore you are.
>

> ...what would you type?
>
> --Max

Besides what's already been mentioned, it'd be cool to implement the
verb BE/EXIST. Most people wouldn't type it, but for those who do,
it'd be a nice Easter egg.

Greg

Max wrote:
> If you started up an IF and, without introduction, room description, or
> anything else, it displayed...
>
> You think therefore you are.
>

> ...what would you type?
>
> --Max

---> think of superman

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 07:16:38 GMT, Max scrawled:

> If you started up an IF and, without introduction, room description, or
> anything else, it displayed...
>
> You think therefore you are.
>

> ...what would you type?
>
> --Max

What am I?

"daniel_mcl@hotmail.com" <daniel_mcl@hotmail.com> wrote:

> ... at which point, of course, you discover that the response is "There
> is no way outside the world you've made for yourself," followed by
> another prompt.

If a game has the gall to pull _that_ stunt on me, there's only one
reaction left, and that's Ctrl-Alt-Delete, kill the program in question,
followed by the deletion of the file from my disk.

Richard

"Max" <remove_this_rabkin@mweb.co.za> wrote:

> If you started up an IF and, without introduction, room description, or
> anything else, it displayed...
>
> You think therefore you are.
>

> ...what would you type?

Yes

(Silly, I know. But it's a silly situation, so I probably _would_
pretend that it wasn't a rhethorical remark.)

Richard

In article <4186b1cc.13752859@news.individual.net>,
Richard Bos <rlb@hoekstra-uitgeverij.nl> wrote:
>"daniel_mcl@hotmail.com" <daniel_mcl@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> ... at which point, of course, you discover that the response is "There
>> is no way outside the world you've made for yourself," followed by
>> another prompt.
>
>If a game has the gall to pull _that_ stunt on me, there's only one
>reaction left, and that's Ctrl-Alt-Delete, kill the program in question,
>followed by the deletion of the file from my disk.

How did you react to "Shrapnel"?

--
David Goldfarb |"English cuisine is the cuisine of fear."
goldfarb@ocf.berkeley.edu |

goldfarb@OCF.Berkeley.EDU (David Goldfarb) wrote:

> In article <4186b1cc.13752859@news.individual.net>,
> Richard Bos <rlb@hoekstra-uitgeverij.nl> wrote:
> >"daniel_mcl@hotmail.com" <daniel_mcl@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> ... at which point, of course, you discover that the response is "There
> >> is no way outside the world you've made for yourself," followed by
> >> another prompt.
> >
> >If a game has the gall to pull _that_ stunt on me, there's only one
> >reaction left, and that's Ctrl-Alt-Delete, kill the program in question,
> >followed by the deletion of the file from my disk.
>
> How did you react to "Shrapnel"?

IIRC I never did try to quit it. In any case, it was good enough to draw
me in _before_ it started playing that kind of tricks; and I was
forewarned that something odd would be going on. It wasn't just a case
of "I'm giving you a vague situation, and no chance to get out of it,
for no discernible reason".

Richard

I would maybe also try

> DESCARTES

just to see if there would be any easter egg for that.

"Max" <remove_this_rabkin@mweb.co.za> writes:

> If you started up an IF and, without introduction, room description, or
> anything else, it displayed...
>
> You think therefore you are.
>

> ...what would you type?

ACHE

(I wonder how many people recognize that joke... :)

--
Esa Peuha
student of mathematics at the University of Helsinki

On 03 Nov 2004 10:57:44 +0200, Esa A E Peuha <esa.peuha@helsinki.fi> wrote:

>"Max" <remove_this_rabkin@mweb.co.za> writes:
>
>> If you started up an IF and, without introduction, room description, or
>> anything else, it displayed...
>>
>> You think therefore you are.
>>

>> ...what would you type?
>
>ACHE
>
>(I wonder how many people recognize that joke... :)

Here I am, brain the size of a planet, and you doubt we'll get it?

Regards,

In <41834e70.0@news1.mweb.co.za> "Max" <remove_this_rabkin@mweb.co.za> writes:

>If you started up an IF and, without introduction, room description, or
>anything else, it displayed...

>You think therefore you are.

>...what would you type?

Well, THINK obviously. After checking inventory and other stuff like
examining myself.

--
Ei se mitään.

Max

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003

"s.bothwell" <s.bothwell@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message

> > "Max" <remove_this_rabkin@mweb.co.za> wrote in message
> > If you started up an IF and, without introduction, room description, or
> > anything else, it displayed...
> >
> > You think therefore you are.
> >

> > ...what would you type?

> xyzzy

LOL.

Thank you. Wouldn't even have thought of it, though now you mention it, it's
rather obvious.

--Max