Discussion Your critical data

Why have you not created a backup of your data?

• Lazy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Didn't think it would happen to me

• Don't know how

• Something else (comment in the thread)

• Total voters

USAFRet

Titan
Just today, I've interacted with multiple members who are in the throes of panic, trying to recover their data from a failed drive. Internal, external, RAID. If you've been paying any attention here, you know that physical drives fail. Sometimes gradually, sometimes in the blink of an eye.
I've had it happen. You will too.

Generally, once you see it start to fail, it is too late for your data.
The drive is easily replaceable.

My question is - Why are people concerned with the physical drive, and not the data?

popatim

Titan
Like most, I learned the Hard way too but this was long before I began working with drives and large data and even before there was easily accessible Internet and forums like ours.

Sadly we, the more fluent people, are not listened to but are the first ones they come to when things happen. Even my own family ! <sigh>

Reactions: COLGeek

WildCard999

Titan
One would think if you don't have a backup on another HDD people would at least use a online backup/service especially if the data is vital for work.

I helped a friend with his register software and realized* that everything was on a HDD from like 10 years ago and that was his only form of storage. I went and made a backup of his purchases and his inventory so if he lost the original he wouldn't need to scan every single item in his store again.

As for me, nothing important to save and my game saves are backed up via Steam/Origin/Blizzard/etc "cloud" service.

Last edited: