Your opinions on this combination

7oco

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016
Hello everyone. I'm upgrading my pc but i am on a very tight budget. So i had 2 options: either get a descent processor and a low budget gpu, or get a not so great cpu but a great gpu. I chose the second option. I ordered core 2 quad q8300 and asus strix gtx 950 2gb OC. Did i chose well? Is that a good combination? I know there will be some bottlenecking, but not too much and too noticable, i hope? Thanks

7oco

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016
The gpu of the first option was gtx 750ti. If i was to upgrade my motherboard and the cpu, i would't have enough money for a better gpu. I plan on upgrading the mobo next year but for now i hope this combination will offer nice gaming experience?

The time to ask is BEFORE you buy.

The cpu is all but obsolete.
The Q8300 has a passmark rating of 3027 and a single thread rating of 1062.
By comparison, the cheapest intel skylake cpu, the $43 G3900 has a rating of 3381 and a single thread rating of 1711.
It is the single thread rating that impacts games most.

The integrated skylake graphics will play some types of games allowing you to defer on the graphics card.
The advantage of starting with skylake is that a lga1151 motherboard can support a cpu upgrade to i3. i5, i7, and perhaps kaby lake.

7oco

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016
Ok thanks for your ansewers. It's done now, i already ordered it. I was watching gameplay videos on youtube with same cpu and gpu and it looked fine. I don't need to play the games on ultra graphics, i just want the games to be fluid, no stuttering, but at the same time easy on the eye. I know the cpu is weak but that's all i could afford. Like i said, i just hope i will be able to play new games without frustrations