Question Your thoughts on Offline Diablo 3 alternatives ? (yes I'm aware of Google's existence)

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
What are your top picks of full offline games with controller support? I almost pulled the trigger on Diablo 3 Eternal until to my surprise there is no native controller support and the third part methods aren't perfect. I figured since the Switch version worked perfectly, the PC version would be the same. NOPE.

So.. So far I have Grim Dawn Definitive and Van Helsing (Adventures of) 1/Final Edt.,

Van Helsing is a mixed bag. Most seem to only like the first game. Some only like Original 1st game and some the remastered 1st game. Final included everything on GOG.

And as mentioned, there's Grim Dawn which seems to be the most popular alternative but most popular doesnt mean the best and good alternatives are overshadowed by sheep mentality.

Price isn't relevant as I'll be waiting for a sale for the above or recommendations. It's a matter of 1) GAME QUALITY/FAMILIARITY, 2) OFFLINE. 3) CONTROLLER SUPPORT.

kira-faye

Upstanding
Oct 11, 2023
Warhammer: Chaosbane is pretty solid.

Torchlight 2 is another good option.

Last Epoch is probably the biggest name these days - not sure if it's fully offline or not, though.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
Warhammer: Chaosbane is pretty solid.

Torchlight 2 is another good option.

Last Epoch is probably the biggest name these days - not sure if it's fully offline or not, though.
Warhammer is apparently abandoned and broken. Not surprised with the number of Warhammer games that if one isn't popular they move to the next. A shame, it otherwise ticked all the boxes.

Torchlight 2 seemed a good fit, GOG, Offline,..
Graphics seemed a little dated and unfortunately that's when I discovered no native controller support.

Last Epoch looked good until I read the reviews which are decisively the game is good or vad, no middle ground. There is apparently this "Dynamic Damage System" which essentially means, no matter how much work you put into your character, the game nerfs you, so any accomplishments in terms of loot or null. Doesn't seem like a fun mechanic to me.

Appreciate the input nevertheless

kira-faye

Upstanding
Oct 11, 2023
I played Chaosbane all the way through with two characters without major issue, so not sure where you're getting abandoned and broken from.

Thought Torchlight supported controller, maybe not, it's been a long time.

The rest boils down to personal preference.

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost

Colif

Win 11 Master
Last Epoch is fun, I played it for 2 months full-time recently. I never thought to play it on my controller... I forget I have one.

TL2 is 12 years old, you have to expect it to look dated. its still a fun game, played over 1100 hours of it in the time since it appeared on steam. Made by people who made Diablo 2. Wonder if there is a mod that adds controller support. Game much better with mods.

Grim Dawn is fun too. Very similar idea as Titan Quest. Every character gets to choose 2 classes. So many possible combos... I see you have it already.

Tried Path of Exile? it supports controllers. It can be played offline, its the only way I played it.
There is a new one coming out this year, the first is getting old now.

Last edited:

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
I played Chaosbane all the way through with two characters without major issue, so not sure where you're getting abandoned and broken from.

Thought Torchlight supported controller, maybe not, it's been a long time.

The rest boils down to personal preference.
Chaos I saw that uttered frequently on GOG and on Steam. Torchlight has Steam Input but people said it's bad.

Preference indeed. That's why I'm having such a hard time finding a Diablo 3 drop in. While not an amazing game, it's a game I enjoyed and had replayability
Last Epoch is fun, I played it for 2 months full-time recently. I never thought to play it on my controller... I forget I have one.

TL2 is 12 years old, you have to expect it to look dated. its still a fun game, played over 1100 hours of it in the time since it appeared on steam. Made by people who made Diablo 2. Wonder if there is a mod that adds controller support. Game much better with mods.

Grim Dawn is fun too. Very similar idea as Titan Quest. Every character gets to choose 2 classes. So many possible combos... I see you have it already.

Tried Path of Exile? it supports controllers. It can be played offline, its the only way I played it.
There is a new one coming out this year, the first is getting old now.
Reason controller and offline are important is because this will be for my Legion Go. My main PC everything is M&K.

I don't have Grim Dawn yet, I'm still looking into that as an option and seems to be the only one I found myself that LOOKS like what I want but am looking for more feedback which you said it's fun, that's encouraging.

Path of Exile looked promising but maybe youre confusing it with something else?

"Path of Exile
Path of Exile is a free online-only action RPG under development by Grinding Gear Games in New Zealand."
It appears the the console versions however support offline? Main reason I'm seeing is character segregation, devs didn't want to redesign the game to implement this. Understandably so a cheated or modded character cant play on servers.

Colif

Win 11 Master
POE - i thought i played it offline. It has been a few years since I played it. Guess I just played alone.

I had to stop playing Grim Dawn as there is a steam limit to how many characters you can save and I hit it. Its too much fun. I can't choose which character to play... they all work. I have played it a few times, I played it in beta and then for about two months last year... I need to work out how to get around the steam character save limit before I can.
Helps to buy expansions as its a big game with them all added - also add more classes to mix/match.

I would suggest Sacred 1 or 2. but neither of them would have controller support and they older than TL2. Most of games in genre are. Sacred 3 is... i don't have words to describe it... don't buy it. Its an insult to the other two games.

Torchlight - every game after 2 is a waste of time looking at. The people who made 1 & 2 didn't make the rest. I was wrong, I have 1300 hours in TL2 (only missing 12 achievements and they all multiplayer) but only 65 in TL3. Its just not the same... most recent is a mobile game.

Last Epoch can be played offline, its how I play. There are some restrictions to playing offline but it only relates to factions and you don't have to worry about those until towards end of the story. They don't effect the game play in any way until then.

Most games I play alone - I did a search very similar to yours a year ago, and apart from online only games, these are the results.

I may have missed some - https://forums.pcgamer.com/threads/any-good-arpg-worth-looking-at.129084/

Last edited:

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
POE - i thought i played it offline. It has been a few years since I played it. Guess I just played alone.

Thanks for everything you posted in the last one there but that sounded sad (in wording) haha but yeah I'm the same. I rarely play online, exception Assetto Corsa.

kira-faye

Upstanding
Oct 11, 2023
I have like 600 hours in Grim Dawn, and have friends with far more. It's probably what you're looking for. Just go in knowing you'll probably want to do some UI tweaking, but there are a number of very well developed community tools for that.

Reactions: SyCoREAPER

Colif

Win 11 Master
Grim Dawn - 1167 hours
Last Epoch - 583 hours
TL2 - 1300 hours
Diablo 2 - No idea... played before Steam. Wasn't ever on steam.
Sacred 2 - played for about 2 years non stop. Before it ever hit Steam. I have forgotten how to play it. I load it now and think there is too much to learn again.
Throne of Darkness is an old game, a lot of fun but no controller support... I can guess that without looking.

I tend to play these games every day until I just stop. I haven't played Last Epoch in a few weeks.

Only games I play online is if I have no choice.
Diablo 4: let down by stupid design decisions.
WOW/Age of Conan - Hard to play an mmo offline

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
I have like 600 hours in Grim Dawn, and have friends with far more. It's probably what you're looking for. Just go in knowing you'll probably want to do some UI tweaking, but there are a number of very well developed community tools for that.
I think that settles it, between you and Colif below, I think Grim Dawn will be worth the money. I did see some UI tweaks yesterday or day before as well as a GrimTex for better and more efficient textures.
Grim Dawn - 1167 hours
Last Epoch - 583 hours
TL2 - 1300 hours
Diablo 2 - No idea... played before Steam. Wasn't ever on steam.
Sacred 2 - played for about 2 years non stop. Before it ever hit Steam. I have forgotten how to play it. I load it now and think there is too much to learn again.
Throne of Darkness is an old game, a lot of fun but no controller support... I can guess that without looking.

I tend to play these games every day until I just stop. I haven't played Last Epoch in a few weeks.

Only games I play online is if I have no choice.
Diablo 4: let down by stupid design decisions.
WOW/Age of Conan - Hard to play an mmo offline
I really wanted to Play D4 but I refuse to pay for games anymore that don't have a guanrteed server shutdown date and more importantly a patch to make a game offline, even if it were massive.
They really screwed up this go around and pissed off its player base with D-Mobile (with so many transactions it's insulting) and then this online only crap for something that doesn't need to be online and then the server issues, etc..

OK done with that rant but anyway as mentioned above, I think you both have convinced me on Grim Dawn. Looks and sounds like what I'm looking for.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Diablo Immoral was bad.

Its easy to play Diablo 4 alone, just play on the non season server. Virtually no one there...really dumb idea. If it had an offline mode I wouldn't have ever bothered to play a season. I only did as the game went from full of people to ghost town after season 1 released.

• it lacks an end game. Nothing to do... dungeon grinds... yawn.
  • They also broke items... nothing is special anymore.
  • And they messed up inventory space... thats biggest problem for me. Characters don't have their own inventory. The stash is all you get... for 10 character slots... who thought that made sense? They clearly never played more than one class. I got stuck playing the one class as I didn't have enough space for any more. You couldn't buy more bank space after a certain number.

Last Epoch has 3 different end games but they separated from story line... so its sort of strange. It beats Diablo 4 for inventory space though, you can buy up to 100 bank slots in game and only with ingame currency.
All DLC expansions etc will be free

Grim Dawn has expansion areas, you find the first one after end of chapter 1. Its your choice if you go in or continue main story. I found it made the game easier as base game lacks items. Big jumps in item levels just from one stage to next. Expansions make it easier.

i haven't been playing much isometrics lately but still have a few installed and waiting for me to come back.

Wasteland 2 & 3,
Pillars of Eternity 2 & 3,
Diablo II: Resurrected(updated to modern standards)

not sure about controller support for any of them though.
have convinced me on Grim Dawn
Grim Dawn was an awesome game. Got most of the way through when it first came out and it was very fun.
Now they've updated it quite a bit in every way and when i played through a little late last year it is even better.

Colif

Win 11 Master
It seems you can use Controller on D2R. It can depend on what type of controller you have, it seems Xbox should work best. I forgot about it as it isn't really a new game.

It was what started me playing this sort of game... not the resurrected version, the old version... played it until the jungle music started to drive me mad... then spent years trying to find a game like it.

I mainly only play games where you play one character, team games can get confusing. I base that on playing Baldurs Gate 1 when it was new. Otherwise I would have got BG3 last year.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I never played Diablo 1. I have played all the others (apart from Immoral) and really none of them are the same. They all been made by different teams. SO its hard to make everyone happy.
I haven't played 3 in years... I did have it on 3 platforms though (PS3, PS4 & PC) so I did try to play it. I don't remember why I stopped.
Them releasing it with an AH was pretty dumb. It turned it into a shopping game until they learned error of ways.

Diablo 4 is the one I played the least so far, I might look at an expansion provided its not stupidly priced as I did see rumours its $100 or something dumb... I mean, there is a $USD65 horse in the game already...
Diablo to me is about collecting items and making best character... Diablo 4 broke the items. Nothing is special... then you can't keep enough anyway.

They need to redesign how the inventory system works as reason they only have so many pages now was linked to network usage. Every time you look at another character in game, at what they have equipped, the server would load their entire inventory instead of just what they wearing. So adding 1 page to inventory adds to everyone's download... dumb stupid way.

they don't seem to understand what game is meant to be.