Your Top 20 Most Common Passwords

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

singleman

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
w@1TFacebook, w@1tHotmail, w@1tBankOfAmerica, w@1tTomsHardware

F@c3, W@1t, P0op, Bo08$, F@r7, P1@n0... Think of 4-5 letter words that have letters like I,L,A,E,S,T,G in it. After you have a good word you just add a suffix like "Facebook" or "Google" or "Gmail". This will ensure that you have a different password for all of your accounts that is easily guessable by you. If you adopt this model, the only folks you need to fear are the people who you are foolish enough to give your password to. If you have a password like this, your password wont be cracked with a dictionary attack, a much slower brute force will be needed to crack the password.

My laptop runs at 1.6Ghz and I have been able to test as many as 250,000 passwords per second on a Zip file. That means that the #1 passwd of 123456 would be cracked in less than one second.

A 8 character password with upper (26), lower (26), number (10), and special characters (10) should take about 80 years on my pansy laptop.

Take care of yourself.

claudeb

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
[citation][nom]IBOOMER[/nom]Stupid Sheep. Alpha numberic, upper and lower case. I have to suffer through phone calls from people who want my personal information everyday, just so I can conduct my business. This is because of people who steal identities from the idiot sheep who can't be troubled to remember not to use little Suzy's name as the password on your bank account.You get what you deserve, and I have to pay for it. Wasted time on the phone giving information, and wasted money on the taxes I pay because of the laws that get passed, because you idiots can't come up with a more secure password.Lazy stupid idiot sheep.[/citation]

Yea, blame the victims. Classy.

tmike

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
[citation][nom]shadow187[/nom]My password for a lot of things is pneulmolnoultramiscroscopicsilicovocanicaniosisi.Am I good password-er?[/citation]

Exceptionally good, given that you misspelled it.

drowned

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
You don't need a paranoid 30 random character password to be safe. 8 letters and a number or two make it practically impossible to brute force in a reasonable amount of time over the internet. Just try recovering a RAR password with more than 6 characters and it takes days to brute force with 100% cpu usage.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I showed my coworker my 5 character (all numbers) password which when I type it in translates to 14 characters - (letters - upper case and lowercase, numbers and symbols). Math is your friend.

logitic

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
oh ya and here is a password must gold farmers use(I used to be one)

1qaz2wsx Once you see where all the letters are on the keyboard you will notice why it is used so often.

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
KeyPass ftw. I've been using that nifty app for years and that way I have diferent passwords for EVERYTHING. Generating new passwords is a breeze.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]martinhersey[/nom]These passwords are all too easy...[/citation]

Starbuck's password for wifi in a lot of stores is:
Username: starbucks
password: starbucks

I is good at passwords! o_O

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
I always put simple, stupid passwords to accounts that i don`t realy care about if somebody will take my account, i use serious complex passwords only where i really care if my ID will be stolen.

lejay

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
[citation][nom]djackson_dba[/nom]That is actually not a fact. Please do not put all Americans in the same pot as this teen beauty pagent participant.[/citation]
Clearly he only put 1/5th of all Americans in the same pot... True or not.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]loomis86[/nom]Oh all you people are SOOO smart. did you ever think that maybe there are lots of passwords for things that people don't really need or want a password for? And for these things(especially if there are several people using the same account) people intentionally invent really dumb passwords?[/citation]

I agree. I use simplistic passwords for things that are unimportant and complex passwords for things like banking. I even use qwerty as a password for things that I share with other people. I don't know what rockyou.com really is as I just went there just now for only a second, but photosharing looks pretty unimportant to me.

The nature of the site needs to be considered when analyzing passwords. If a banking site had passwords released by accident I bet you'd get much different results.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
For unimportant sites I use a single, simple password. Someone stealing my Tom's Hardware account would be annoying, but I'm pretty sure I could move on with my life...

For important things like banking or an MMO that I've invested hours of time in, etc. I use separate, more complex passwords. Difficulty=importance.

Keeps things easy to remember since I only have 4 or 5 passwords to remember at any given time. It's all in my head, so no random papers floating around either.

I also do the same thing with password-recovery. Your super complex password of mental destruction means nothing if I myspace your cat's name.

Status
Not open for further replies.