[SOLVED] Youtube Audio Stuterring with I7 2620M laptop

vishalaestro

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
I'm using dell latitude E5420 i7 2620m with 128Gb SSD and 8GB RAM . Whenever i play YouTube video at 720p or 1080p (even some time at 480p )either through Firefox or chrome, i get frequent audio stuttering or sync issues this becomes more evident with 60FPS videos. i have turned on hardware acceleration for both browsers. Also when the YouTube video is playing in one tab and i move to another tab the video starts to lag. I check the task manager and the CPU usage never reached above 30%, RAM usage doesn't cross 50% and the HDD activity wasn't even 10%

I'm on windows 7 ultimate 64bit with latest updates

Solution
Finally identified the solution, i had to increase the minimum processor state to 99% under processor power management of power options now there is no more cracking audio and stuttering youtube videos but the more permanent/correct solution is due to the wifi card driver, because using ethernet i did not notice the issue any more so i brought a cheap wifi adapter since the inbuilt laptop wifi card does not have any driver updates
Try disabling hardware acceleration. Looking through the history of the h.264 video codec, there were several amendments added to it from 2011-2016. Your CPU was designed in 2011, so its integrated graphics video decode hardware would've been locked in to the pre-2011 h.264 spec. You're gonna have to rely on video decode in software if those sites are now using h.264 features added since 2011.

We're going through a similar transition right now. Video hardware made prior to about 2017 does not support the new h.265 video codec, so those devices have to decode it entirely in software.

Edit: Also make sure you have a comprehensive software codec pack installed. Unfortunately codec management in Windows is a bit of a mess, and results are best if you can uninstall any old ones before installing the new one. Otherwise it may continue to use the old one when you try to play a video requiring the codec. K-Lite makes a pretty decent package.

https://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

vishalaestro

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011

I have disabled hardware acceleration and now the situation is better but now the 60fps video doesn't look like 60FPS video anymore. Also is codec mandatory for videos watched though web? i thought i was used to support local videos of different formats

vishalaestro

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Finally identified the solution, i had to increase the minimum processor state to 99% under processor power management of power options now there is no more cracking audio and stuttering youtube videos but the more permanent/correct solution is due to the wifi card driver, because using ethernet i did not notice the issue any more so i brought a cheap wifi adapter since the inbuilt laptop wifi card does not have any driver updates

Solution