YouTube interrupts my internet connection

hxaris

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
Hey guys,

I have been experiencing a very strange problem, when I watch a YouTube video although it loads perfectly fine , etc. , If I open another tab and try to browse the web or download anything it won't load. My internet just stop working...

It's like YouTube forces all the bandwidth to the video and cuts my internet.

eg. I watch a video on YouTube, then try to open facebook.com , or apple.com on a new tab and it won't load, but as soon as I close the YouTube tab my other tab loads instantly with no problems.

More strangely the only website I can load is Google.com during a YouTube video. I can also load Gmail so it looks like everything google related loads fine when watching a video, but everything else just wont work.

Also the problems goes on only when the video is loading/buffering as soon as it stops loading my internet goes back to normal.

This is so strange...
What is going on?

Thanks in advance :)

( I have tried both explorer, and google chrome which is my default browser )

dbhosttexas

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Just looked, you are on DSL. Odds are better than good you are saturating the bandwidth of your internet connection. It's been a few years since I have seen DSL, but from what I see advertised, DSL speeds vary from 128kbps (my old ISDN line was 128kbps, I got rid of that a LONG time ago. The top speed tier I see advertised for DSL is 6mb/s which is 1/5 of what the Comcast Blast service is advertising. (which is the mid tier for Comcast). Yes it cost more, but I can stream Youtube all day long while surfing, and have my wife watching Netflix on another machine at the same time...

calmstateofmind

Distinguished

Have you just recently started noticing this issue? It sounds like Youtube is eating up all your bandwidth and that it's not a problem with your browser or connection. Just taking a shot in the dark, but maybe you have the default video quality as HD (720p/1080p); trying lowering to 480p/360p and see if that makes a difference.

Also, what OS are you running? Depending on what you have, there's a chance we utilize what's called QoS (Quality of service), where your computer will prioritize the data coming from individual websites, or in this case make them all equal so you don't have Youtube hogging everything.

calmstateofmind

Distinguished

Not sure where you live, but the DSL provider in my area offer residential speeds up to 12mbps and low end speeds at 3mbps...

dbhosttexas

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Houston metro area. Actually where I live in Galveston County, I can only get cable, or Hughes, no DSL. Verizon sticks their finger in the air at us... I originally wanted DSL when broadband first came out, but the lack of availability was a huge deal breaker for me. Combine that with the extremely noticable speed difference between the bottom speed tier of cable, and the top of DSL, at least around here, and you can see why I haven't fussed at Verizon too much about getting DSL over here. I no longer carry a land line, and my mobile is on AT&T, so Verizon lost on any opportunity to get my business...

Never heard of 12mbps DSL. I must admit, I am impressed they can get that much speed out of it... Maybe they are working some new technologies with it up north. I just know around H-town the speeds rank in the pitiful to eh range...

calmstateofmind

Distinguished

Actually I'm in KY, but I guess pretty much everywhere (in the US) is considered north to you, lol. We have DSL and cable available, of which I've experienced both recently and there's a huge difference.

DSL http://www.windstream.com/
Cable http://www.myinsight.com/default.asp