YouTube Now Ready for Your 15 Minutes of Fame

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
They first need to fix their server load issues. Over the past few weeks, my buffer speeds have been getting worse, at random times during the day. Often as slow as 200Kbps. Then it decides to buffer at roughly 20Mbps whenever it feels like it.

Before people claim I have some sort of malware, guess again. I'm sure others have noticed the slowdowns as of late.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
[citation][nom]jrharbort[/nom]They first need to fix their server load issues. Over the past few weeks, my buffer speeds have been getting worse, at random times during the day. Often as slow as 200Kbps. Then it decides to buffer at roughly 20Mbps whenever it feels like it.Before people claim I have some sort of malware, guess again. I'm sure others have noticed the slowdowns as of late.[/citation]
Yeah, I've had issues with videos just not loading, and often.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
[citation][nom]jrharbort[/nom]They first need to fix their server load issues. Over the past few weeks, my buffer speeds have been getting worse, at random times during the day. Often as slow as 200Kbps. Then it decides to buffer at roughly 20Mbps whenever it feels like it.Before people claim I have some sort of malware, guess again. I'm sure others have noticed the slowdowns as of late.[/citation]
I've noticed it as well. One trick I've found is that the various resolutions of a video are often on different servers. There's been many times I've loaded 720p video faster than 360p. Just try changing the resolution (even if you're moving up).

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
[citation][nom]halodude23[/nom]about time, should make a 1 hour limit, that would be sick![/citation]

It would be nice. I know YouTube is already sucking an insanely massive amount of bandwidth and space on Googles servers, but they disabled the old trick to make 2 hour videos where you just had to change your settings from a regular to "Director". Now you actually have to be a YouTube Partner and fill out an application which gets reviewed to even be considered.

At least they are upping it, lets hope it's like their "ever growing email storage" program they have with Gmail.

drutort

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
[citation][nom]fonzy[/nom]Does that mean will get more ads and commercials now.[/citation]

i was thinking oh cool... then some how this thought crossed my mind too

its all a ploy... too bad cause it will get annoying like a lot of other video places that are far worse with ads

Chris_TC

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
[citation][nom]xerroz[/nom]adblocker + no script seem to block all ads in youtube videos[/citation]
I only use Adblocker, and I wasn't even aware that there are ads on Youtube? I've never seen a single one.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Videos can be...
•High Definition•Up to 2 GB in size.
•Up to 15 minutes in length.
•A wide variety of formats

great just a few days ago I uploaded a video and after the upload I got a message "your video has not been approved becuase is too long"
my video was just over 11 minutes :(

[citation][nom]tolham[/nom]uh, what? i just watched a 48 minute video of conan obrien at google HQ on youtube the other day.[/citation]
[citation][nom]dco[/nom]If 10 minutes is the cap how is it that there are 1 hour videos on there?[/citation]

If you guys would of read this comment before you posted yours, You wouldn't have ask suck a silly question :p

[citation][nom]bison88[/nom]It would be nice. I know YouTube is already sucking an insanely massive amount of bandwidth and space on Googles servers, but they disabled the old trick to make 2 hour videos where you just had to change your settings from a regular to "Director". Now you actually have to be a YouTube Partner and fill out an application which gets reviewed to even be considered.At least they are upping it, lets hope it's like their "ever growing email storage" program they have with Gmail.[/citation]

Read all the comments next time. Someone might be already answered your question without you having to ask. ;)

I just notice that yesterday as well. :heink:

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I never realized YouTube had a time limit until they upped it (no, I've never tried to upload anything). I guess, from the crap about content ID, they were worried that videos more than 10 minutes in length might be able to sneak 5 seconds of the theme from Love Boat past the content filter, and that Aaron Spelling's widow wouldn't get her $0.0000005 worth of royalties.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
[citation][nom]supertrek32[/nom]I've noticed it as well. One trick I've found is that the various resolutions of a video are often on different servers. There's been many times I've loaded 720p video faster than 360p. Just try changing the resolution (even if you're moving up).[/citation]

^This.

I've seen many videos that exhibit the same issue, sometimes higher resolutions load faster. Of course, there are times the opposite is true as well, but I haven't had a video with low speed problems that I wasn't able to speed up by using a different resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.