[SOLVED] Youtube/Other Video Streaming Unstable With Core Clock Increase? Games Stable Though..Help!

Mar 17, 2022
Hello,

I cannot seem to get my core clock overclocked without it stuttering into oblivion and then my whole system sound starts to stutter. I cannot find a solution to this problem. I'm beginning to think it's my sound card, which works perfectly fine under all other circumstances. I bought an ASUS Xonar 5.1 SE for the optical out, as my HP OMEN did not come with an optical out.

Here's what I'm working with:

HP OMEN, fully updated windows, fully updated all drivers, OC on MSI Afterburner.. Clean install

512GB SSD / 2TB SATA HDD / i7 11700k / 3080 TI / 32GB HyperEx RAM @ 3466

Temps & Clocks:

CPU 80C max under load @ 4.7-5.0 GHz, -87.9mV undervolt via ThrottleStop

GPU 80C max under load Mem Juncture @ 90C under load Hot Spot @ 88C under load.

Internet Speed: 120Mbps DL / 40 Mbps UL Wifi, 20Mbps DL / 30 Mbps UL on ethernet (either my mobo ethernet is <Mod Edit> or I need a new Powerline Adapter)

After the clean install, I thought the video streaming stutter problem would stop. It did not. So... I'm here!

I know I don't need to overclock my 3080 Ti, especially since I'm running 1440p @ GSYNC, but I would like the extra performance that I know my card can push (because I can game on it with NO PROBLEMS- Witcher 3 I can play for an hour on max settings with no issues @ 2075 Core Clock when boosted to +120)

Edit: To be clear, I can game with these settings with zero issues: +120 / +698 Mem. It's just YouTube and other video streaming will begin to stutter and won't stop until I close MSI afterburner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Overclocking affects many things.
My old phenom2 x6 would distort jpegs and videos if the clock speed was above 3.4 gig.
At 3.4 and under everything was fine.
Just because the processor will run that fast, does not mean everything else on the processor will.
It has hardware video/sound encoders/decoders, memory controllers,PCI-E controllers,USB controllers and a host of other controllers.
All it takes is one of those to fail and your overclocking will be limited to what fails first.
Mar 17, 2022
How exactly did you stress test to determine the overlock was stable? Because if some usage isn't stable, then the overclock isn't stable.

I did 45m with Heaven Benchmark and then about an hour on Witcher 3. It's weird. No issues. Then I'll pull up YouTube and can't play for 15 seconds.

Even stranger, if I run a game in the background, Youtube will play fine.

Things I suggest or thoughts to throw out:
  • Find out at which OC point videos will work just fine and use that
  • Create another profile that has no OC and switch to that when you're not gaming
  • Figure out how much performance you're actually gaining with your OC. Reviews of the FE card tell me that the GPU can boost up to around 1,800MHz. With a +120MHz overclock, this is a 6.67% clock bump. However, that ~6% doesn't mean you're going to get 6% better performance overall. If I'm going to be honest, trying to maintain this ~6% with issues isn't worth it.

Mar 17, 2022
  • Create another profile that has no OC and switch to that when you're not gaming
  • Figure out how much performance you're actually gaining with your OC. Reviews of the FE card tell me that the GPU can boost up to around 1,800MHz. With a +120MHz overclock, this is a 6.67% clock bump. However, that ~6% doesn't mean you're going to get 6% better performance overall. If I'm going to be honest, trying to maintain this ~6% with issues isn't worth it.
Good ideas. It is quite the hassle. Sometimes it seems like +70MHz is stable, but other times it seems like +10 is unstable (maybe it just didn't "reset" yet?). I'll continue to troubleshoot, but for now +70 seems good. I thought the same thing with +85 earlier, but that has been giving me trouble too.

I was hoping to bridge the gap to FE 3090 as much as I could, but I'll take what I can get.

Mar 17, 2022
Well <Mod Edit>. I'm pretty sure it's the soundcard.

Or my PCI-E slot. Problem persists when I uninstall MSI Afterburner. And if I put my PC to sleep, it won't recognize the sound card at all. Problem persists on reboot. So weird.

I'm probably better off getting a 3.5mm to Optical adapter at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Overclocking affects many things.
My old phenom2 x6 would distort jpegs and videos if the clock speed was above 3.4 gig.
At 3.4 and under everything was fine.
Just because the processor will run that fast, does not mean everything else on the processor will.
It has hardware video/sound encoders/decoders, memory controllers,PCI-E controllers,USB controllers and a host of other controllers.
All it takes is one of those to fail and your overclocking will be limited to what fails first.

Reactions: Satan-IR
Solution