Z170A Gaming M3 only runs one sapphire 7950 HD Boost?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cckruse

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016
Specs:
MSI Z170A Gaming M3 mother board
Zalman 1000 Watts High Efficiency Switching Power Supply
i5 6600k - cpu (overclocked to 4.5 currently)
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8gb x 2 - ram
Sapphire Radeon Hd 7950 Boost 3GB DDR5 x 2

I looked on the MSI website and it says that the compatibility for the M3 mother board is only one sapphire 7950...I didn't realize that there could potentially be issues with running crossfire. Is there any way around this to get my set up to run both graphics cards in crossfire? Inside of CCC there is no option for crossfire, in BIOS there is nothing I can change that helps with the PCI bus speed, everything is hooked up and both cards work. Currently both are recognized but in CCC my second card is (disabled), first card is listed as (primary). I am assuming I now just have a second card that I can set on the shelf and look at since my motherboard has compatibility issues, but I thought I would see if anyone here knows something I don't. Thanks!

Solution
Well guys as dumb as this sounds if you seat the bridge all the way down it does not work properly....So if you pull up upward 1-2mm it works great....my crossfire works now. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

cckruse

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016
Well guys as dumb as this sounds if you seat the bridge all the way down it does not work properly....So if you pull up upward 1-2mm it works great....my crossfire works now. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Solution

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Glad it worked out. It should have worked from the beginning, 2 R9 280's work in there. Very strange that it didn't but turned out to be a simple problem. Maybe your new bridge will work fully seated. You do not need more than 1 in fact 2 can mess things up from what i have read.

cckruse

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016
Yeah we will see it works great now. I put some new fans in one of them so everything is working great. Only thing I need to mess with now is one of the 7950s reads in the temperature at 0 which is obviously wrong.