Z270-K Motherboard Running Hot

Mar 12, 2018
Hello, I just completed my build and was checking temps. Everything but the mobo is running ~30, but the mobo is spiked to 120. The only thing I can think of is that one of the fans had shut off recently (fixed the problem by running it through the mobo rather than the case fan control board). Is this a faulty sensor or should I really be worried about those temp readings? Temps were run on speccy.

Specs:
Intel i7-7700K
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 Windforce
Asus PRIME Z270-K
Corsair H110i v.2 cooler
EVGA 750 G2 PSU

Solution
D

Yep. Quite common.

I use CoreTemp. Read the Intel temp guide in my sig for the reasons why it's the most accurate way to monitor Intel CPUs.

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

If the sensor is reading it correctly, then yeah it's something to worry about, but chances are it's just a bad sensor but keep an eye on it and make sure nothing starts smoking.

D

Deleted member 217926

Is there a temperature reading in BIOS? If not there's no temp sensor on the board and that's just a false reading. Most boards don't have sensors.

Mar 12, 2018

BIOS does have a temperature reading around 20C. I've also been keeping a heavy eye on the board and its not been heating or smoking. Probably faulty sensor for Speccy/HWM?

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

It's most likely that speccy can't get access to the sensor so it's just showing something random. If BIOS is reporting 20c then that's what I would trust because that would have full access to a sensor if there is one.

D

Deleted member 217926

Yep. Quite common.

I use CoreTemp. Read the Intel temp guide in my sig for the reasons why it's the most accurate way to monitor Intel CPUs.

Solution