Z270 Mk1 - ME update vs BIOS update

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
So I'm on ASUS' website and see there is a critical update for Management Engine Interface, and also an ME Update tool within the BIOS update list.

I take it I'd need to run the tool first and then the update file? Is it even safe to do through Windows? I know BIOS updates are best done via USB flash but not sure if the ME update is even possible the same way.

Also still debating if I should update BIOS. The board's manual says DO NOT manually update bios unless there is an immediate problem or security issue, but when I emailed ASUS they said it's best to update BIOS to the latest version for "stability and security". My 7th gen CPU works on v. 0505 x64 even though it technically wasn't supported until 0604.

***Update - I flashed to bios v. 1009 (latest from ASUS website) -
e7nduwC.png

It also shows the ME version as already being later than the critical update from Intel -
xrTKMGc.png

Unless that's a different ME separate from Intel's?

I tried running the ME tool but it said "Warning! Please check MEI driver is installed" How do I check that?

Solution
The issue to me is, even if you patch it now, it doesn't prevent future issues from being discovered.

But yes, you can uses the asus tool in windows to update the ME, it's safe enough.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008

That seems to be the case, but when I run the Intel detection tool it says my system is still vulnerable. Do I even need the MEupdate tool if I wanted to take care of it, or can I just run the update file itself?

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
Well I ended up being able to update this finally. In case anyone has had trouble with the Intel detection tool vulnerability status -
What I had to do was run ConsumerME11.7.0.1014_RS2_20170718 and then run the MEUpdate tool. I also installed the latest Chipset10.1.1.44_RS2_20170718 prior to all this, but was getting the message -

vTVwbqL.jpg

So I downloaded the latest chipset again (which was actually MEI_Consumer_11.7.0.1045), rebooted and finally -

ZXMcLfq.jpg