[SOLVED] Z490 Auorus Ultra / i5-10600k CPU Error Beep Code

SimplePhysics

Honorable
Jan 4, 2015
I'm getting 5 short-ish beeps from this system and no boot. The beeps are not as short as a normal successful POST beep but I wouldn't call them long. There are 5, promptly after turning on power, then silence.

It was happening with MOBO1 & CPU1 so I exchanged MOBO1 for MOBO2 (same model). It kept happening so I exchanged CPU1 for CPU2 (same model). The Microcenter guys are getting to know me at this point. Now it's still happening. It seems unlikely that I got two bad MOBOs or CPUs, so I must be doing something wrong. I'm not sure what else to check. The socket looks fine (no bent pins etc.). I have nothing else in the system except for a CPU cooler.

LED debug code alternates between Ad "Issue Ready To Boot Event for OS Boot" and d9 "Can't load Boot Option".

CPU: Core i5-10600K Comet Lake 4.1GHz Six-Core LGA 1200
MOBO: Z490 AORUS Ultra Intel LGA 1200 ATX Motherboard
RAM: Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 CL16
works fine in another system​
Also tried RAM: G.Skill 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 PC4-19200 CL15
PSU: Raidmax RX-850AE
Also tried PSU: Corsair RM850
Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid ML 240L RGB

Thanks for reading.

Edit: typo, debug code.

Last edited:

SimplePhysics

Honorable
Jan 4, 2015
After searching around on the internet and finding a related thread about display issues I started swapping monitors and cables.

• Using an HDMI cable directly from the motherboard into the monitor failed.
  • Using an HDMI cable directly into a known functional GTX 1070 failed.
  • Using a display port cable directly into a known functional GTX 1070 failed.
  • Using a DVI-D cable directly into a known functional GTX 1070 card I get post.
Any clue as to why?

bignastyid

Titan
The igpu not working is likely due to it being disabled, the default auto setting on most boards disables the igpu when a dedicated gpu is installed.

The HDMI and DP not working on the gpu could indicate a problem with the card.

Aug 27, 2020
I am experiencing the exact same issue with my new build, which is almost the exact same build as yours. We’re you able to resolve it? I was about to exchange the processor for a new one thinking it was DOA.

SimplePhysics

Honorable
Jan 4, 2015
I now believe the hardware was fine the whole time. If I boot with no monitor plugged in (what I had been doing while breadboarding) it gives me the beep and POST codes listed above. If I plug in monitors usually it boots fine, depending on the combination of monitors plugged in.

I now run 2 monitors, both using DisplayPort cables and it boots fine. If I turn one of the monitors off and boot it gives me the 5 beep code but if I just wait it will boot onto the second monitor.

I don't understand it but hey it works.

TRENDING THREADS