Question z690 prime DDR5 4800 xmp just doesn't work

Sep 28, 2022
Good day, everyone!

So I've recently got a new rig, with above said motherboard and 16x2 GB DDR5 4800MT ram. This one, 4800 version -> https://www.kingston.com/en/memory/gaming/kingston-fury-beast-ddr5-memory
However, there's some issue with xmp profiles on this motherboard.
XMP1 works yet changes nothing per voltages/timings/hz, RAM still sits on default 4800 with 38-38-38-70 per what's written on the box.
XMP2 doesn't even boot Windows when enabled.
So how to make things work? Should I manually set all the options for XMP to actually work as intended?

Also, I'm not experienced with RAM overclocking at all, where can I watch all those timings and voltages etc to be set?

Many thanks in advance!

Xmp is for setting the memory at the desired, or purchased memory speed. Sometimes when memory is inserted it defaults to the cpu's minimum supported memory speed. In your case the 12th gen defaults to DDR5 4800mhz. So that is why it doesn't matter if you use xmp or not. Are you looking to try to overclock the memory to a different speed?

Sep 28, 2022
Xmp is for setting the memory at the desired, or purchased memory speed. Sometimes when memory is inserted it defaults to the cpu's minimum supported memory speed. In your case the 12th gen defaults to DDR5 4800mhz. So that is why it doesn't matter if you use xmp or not. Are you looking to try to overclock the memory to a different speed?
That's totally right, I would like to overclock my RAM to higher speeds and would like to see some guide where the settings are shown. Many thanks!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Increase frequency, possibly loosen timings, test for stability. Repeat until you are satisfied.

I haven't made the switch to DDR5 myself yet. There are memory overclocking guides out there you can consult.

Generally I don't overclock memory. I buy the speed I expect to use. I do have a 3200MT/s kit running at 3600. But what I suspect there is that it actually has the same memory chips as its faster variant, zero issues running at the same timings at that speed.

Sep 28, 2022
Increase frequency, possibly loosen timings, test for stability. Repeat until you are satisfied.

I haven't made the switch to DDR5 myself yet. There are memory overclocking guides out there you can consult.

Generally I don't overclock memory. I buy the speed I expect to use. I do have a 3200MT/s kit running at 3600. But what I suspect there is that it actually has the same memory chips as its faster variant, zero issues running at the same timings at that speed.
Well honestly that's why I have come to this forum, to be provided with at least some guidance - where to watch the correct timings, if there is a software that calibrates them to some fixed numbers that are most likely to be used. AFAIK there are 4 timings with 0-100 figures, so is there at least some logic when adjusting them? Putting them randomly would take like years to OC lol. Would be nice to get some piece of advice on this.
However yet I've received 0 info on this case :(

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
There are many complete guides to overclocking memory that are far more thorough than is worth writing here.

Lower memory timings are better, so there aren't as many options as you think since you would be working towards zero (and since getting anywhere near zero is impossible, even less). But the main thing is to start with a goal and see if you can achieve it. No one can give you a precise starting point or ending point as every CPU memory controller, motherboard, and memory kit will interact differently. You have working memory at 4800, you can try increasing speed with out changing timings. You can try making the timings smaller to reduce latency.