Question Z690 UD DDR4 and i5 12400F

punisher_09

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2014
Hello. I have the motherboard Z690 UD DDR4 from Gigabyte with the F5 bios (this is the latest on their site) and the i5 12400F CPU.
Using various cpu temp monitors, I saw that the core temps are 0 *C sometimes.
I tried the following: updating bios, reset bios, load default bios settings, but it did not solve the problem.
The rest of the hardware is: GTX1660, 2x8GB 2400MHz, 1 HDD, 1SSD, 1 PCIe SSD, and Seasonic 650W PSU.
I tried CoreTemp, HWmonitor, HWinfo64.

Is this an error from the bios or monitoring software that will be fixed with the next update or something is broken in the PC ?

Last edited:

Ai90

Prominent
Apr 12, 2020
I would recommend you to return low-end Z690 board from Gigabyte and buy strong B660 - like MSI B660 Mortar. The price of Gigabyte Z690 is clear indication that this is very cut down thing, so very unpredictable product. This is just my humble opinion.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It is not an error/problem. That is showing you that the cores have gone to sleep at the time of viewing. This started with Intel's 11th gen chips.
When the core(s) go to sleep, the voltage supplied is shut off... can't really read, or no real need to read the core(s) when the voltage is shut off, eh? So they read as 0.

Reactions: logainofhades

logainofhades

Titan
I would recommend you to return low-end Z690 board from Gigabyte and buy strong B660 - like MSI B660 Mortar. The price of Gigabyte Z690 is clear indication that this is very cut down thing, so very unpredictable product. This is just my humble opinion.

That board is just fine, with a 12400. It can even handle a 12900k.

Reactions: punisher_09

punisher_09

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2014
I would also like to ask how can I check that my CPU cooler is installed correctly without disassembly it from the motherboard ?

The CPU cooler is Aqirys Uranus White, on the producers website it is mentioned "LGA1700" and on the box is not mentioned.
I managed to install the cooler without any problems.
The temperatures are: min 25 C and max 61 C (full load using intel burn test), at an ambient temp of about 21 C.

I would also like to ask how can I check that my CPU cooler is installed correctly without disassembly it from the motherboard ?

The CPU cooler is Aqirys Uranus White, on the producers website it is mentioned "LGA1700" and on the box is not mentioned.
The temperatures are: min 25 C and max 61 C (full load using intel burn test), at an ambient temp of about 21 C.
If it wasnt a proper installation you would thermal throttle.

your temps aren't anywhere near alarming so if it ain't broke, don't fix it

punisher_09

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2014
My keyboard is sometimes not working when I start the PC. it happened 2 times since I have this motherboard and cpu. I needed to take out and plug in again the usb cable of the keyboard in order to work. I tried to install the driver for the keyboard but I haven't found it on the internet.
The keyboard is plugged into a usb 2.0 port and it is not plugged into the usb port for updrage the bios. My mouse and other usb 2.0 and 3.0 devices works normal.
First time when happened I changed the usb port for the keyboard by swapping with the mouse. When it happened secondly, then I just unplugged and then plugged in the keyboard.

Is there any solution to this problem ?

punisher_09

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2014
USB legacy support is already enabled in bios.
Today I installed a new 120mm fan into the pc case, and I disconnected the power cord from the psu. After installing the fan, I started the pc and I found that the keyboard is not working, the numlock led was ON, but when I pressed the numlock button, the led was still ON. Same happened with the caps lock led and scroll lock led.
After restarting the pc, it worked normally.

Ai90

Prominent
Apr 12, 2020
Today I installed a new 120mm fan into the pc case, and I disconnected the power cord from the psu. After installing the fan, I started the pc and I found that the keyboard is not working, the numlock led was ON, but when I pressed the numlock button, the led was still ON. Same happened with the caps lock led and scroll lock led.

Return of MB is not an option?

Hello. I have the motherboard Z690 UD DDR4 from Gigabyte with the F5 bios (this is the latest on their site) and the i5 12400F CPU.
Using various cpu temp monitors, I saw that the core temps are 0 *C sometimes.
I tried the following: updating bios, reset bios, load default bios settings, but it did not solve the problem.
The rest of the hardware is: GTX1660, 2x8GB 2400MHz, 1 HDD, 1SSD, 1 PCIe SSD, and Seasonic 650W PSU.
I tried CoreTemp, HWmonitor, HWinfo64.

Is this an error from the bios or monitoring software that will be fixed with the next update or something is broken in the PC ?
Are you using the latest version of HWMonitor? I've found it show temps incorrectly or no temps at all in the past with new CPU's.

You are being overly worried.
CPU temperature readings are electrical readings from which temperatures are computed.
Clearly 0c. is not the true temperature or you would be bundled in arctic gear.
Did you install the motherboard chipset drivers?
If not, that could be the cause of the 0 c. reading.

On your cooler, the best way to tell if it is mounted properly is to look at the temperature when idle.
The bios screen will usually have a reliable reading.
Or start a different temperature monitor like HWmonitor.
A well mounted cooler would show something like 10-15c over ambient.
If your particular setup does not show anything, I would not be particularly worried.

Then start a stress test. CPU-Z stress is easy to do.
Have task manager open to the cpu threaded option open.
You should see all threads at 100%
Your cpu cooler fan should ramp up .
I might expect temperatures perhaps as high as 85c.
The cpu monitors it's own temperature.
If it sees a dangerous temperature, it will slow down or shut off to protect itself
That is around 100c.

if you can tolerate it, disable the fastboot option on the mobo - it may be the detection of the KB is taking longer than the boot.

Reactions: punisher_09

TRENDING THREADS