Z77 Motherboard Temperatures over 170°C under load (!!!)

MrInEticaL

Commendable
Feb 8, 2017
I've just purchased a replacement motherboard for my i7-3770 (Asus P8Z77-V LX) and I've been noticing much higher temperatures than usual. My CPU temperatures rose 10°C. After looking around, I found that these Asus motherboards had a habit of Overclocking the CPU, which i found to be true, as my CPU had been overclocked. (BCLK) So, I turned off the overclock, only to find the temperatures hadn't improved. I have 6(!) Case fans, three around the CPU (Excluding the CPU heatsink and fan) and to my surprise (or maybe not :/ ) The TMPIN3 sensor (MosFETs?) was sitting at 170°C...

---Motherboard---
CPU Vcore 1.040 V - 1.408V //Too high?
CPUTIN 41°C - 127°C // :eek:
TMPIN3 15°C - 171°C // ...
TMPIN4 3°C - 142°C //Incorrect Sensor readings?
AUXTIN 118°C - 118°C //Not too sure.

---CPU---
VID 0.791V - 1.221V //I think this is normal.
Package 49°C - 93°C //Again, too high.
Clocks 1568MHz - 4485Mhz //585MHz faster than rated
PAckage 27W - 44W //Quite low?

Solution
Well, my mobo BIOS would give me sometimes readings like CPU fan at 65536 rpm :) would skyrocket CPU to the moon if true
Still BIOS is best place to look for temps. While it gives inaccurate readings sometimes, overall it can be more trusted then 3rd party programs.
Well, if mobo is overheating, it is mobo problem, right? What I mean is that power regulator could be applying a bit too high voltage - still within safe ranges so comp works fine, but enough to cause extra heat generation. If that would be the case, your comp would run just fine ... except expected lifespan would be much shorter.

MrInEticaL

Commendable
Feb 8, 2017

The Temperatures are from HWMonitor.
All my case fans are airflow fans, not static pressure. I have three sucking through the front through the HArd drives into the central area around the motherboard. I have 3 fans pushing air out, one at the rear and two above the VRMs and Motherboard to try and cool the VRMs. (Which don't have heatsinks)

Under load, the PC is pretty much a heater. The front is cool, but the air coming out the back is hot just putting your hand there, i havent measured but it feels like around 40 - 50°C There is lots of airflow which I tested by sticking pieces of string around the fans and in the case to show which direction the air was going.

My PSU is on the bottom of the case and also aids with airflow as it pulls air into it from inside the case and blows it out the back.

MrInEticaL

Commendable
Feb 8, 2017

I've already dismissed the BIOS as it gives me temperature readings of -2 sometimes :p
The Motherboard itself works fine, I've had no other issues that would indicate a motherboard issue.
I'm just concerned about the high temperatures under load

Well, my mobo BIOS would give me sometimes readings like CPU fan at 65536 rpm :) would skyrocket CPU to the moon if true
Still BIOS is best place to look for temps. While it gives inaccurate readings sometimes, overall it can be more trusted then 3rd party programs.
Well, if mobo is overheating, it is mobo problem, right? What I mean is that power regulator could be applying a bit too high voltage - still within safe ranges so comp works fine, but enough to cause extra heat generation. If that would be the case, your comp would run just fine ... except expected lifespan would be much shorter.

Solution