[SOLVED] Z87Extreme3 - best available Graphics Card

Jul 21, 2021
I know this MB is really old and basically I only use it as a standard PC and occasionally use it to play Civ 4 (which it does with much wheezing and gasping). It is now even a bit slow for regular office work, so I thought adding a graphics card might speed things up (both for office work and Civ4). The problem is that a) I am not big into gaming so know little about Graphics Cards and b) most of the Graphics Cards that were recommended back in the day are no longer available. How to best go about picking a suitable 'modern' graphics card for this MB?

Solution
You may need to adjust your expectations. A gpu should help with games but it is not going to help with regular office work.
that's not true in this case, gain will not be high, but that cpu is using IGPU right now, so if you move from it, it should free some voltage/thermal/memory headroom, which should make it clock higher.
Game will gain a lot, potentially double, but office will only be 5-10% faster, not a lot, but something. Big excels also speed up a lot if you have graphs made from thousands of rows.

Looking on what you use, I suggest 1050 ti /1060/1660, depending on your budget. amd side that would be Radeon RX 570.
Going above those parts will not yeld a lot of changes and you will spend much more.
if you don't want...
Jul 21, 2021

ProcessorIntel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz
Memory24290MB (4637MB used)
Machine TypeDesktop
Operating SystemUbuntu 20.04.2 LTS
User Name
Date/TimeWed 21 Jul 2021 21:00:20
Display
Resolution2560x1440 pixels
OpenGL RendererMesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 (HSW GT2)
X11 VendorThe X.Org Foundation

Also going to need to know about your power supply(model, age, etc) and probably case to recommend one you can power and that will fit. That CPU is probably a good match all the way up to a GTX 1660ti or GTX 970/1080, not near as bad as you're probably thinking for gaming.

Reactions: dunbrokin
You may need to adjust your expectations. A gpu should help with games but it is not going to help with regular office work.
that's not true in this case, gain will not be high, but that cpu is using IGPU right now, so if you move from it, it should free some voltage/thermal/memory headroom, which should make it clock higher.
Game will gain a lot, potentially double, but office will only be 5-10% faster, not a lot, but something. Big excels also speed up a lot if you have graphs made from thousands of rows.

Looking on what you use, I suggest 1050 ti /1060/1660, depending on your budget. amd side that would be Radeon RX 570.
Going above those parts will not yeld a lot of changes and you will spend much more.
if you don't want to spend a lot, (gpu's cost their weight in gold now), GT1050 and RX560 could be worthwhile as well, just avoid going back in time to much older parts, they suck tons of juice and probably will not work as well as you expect.

Reactions: dunbrokin
Solution
Jul 21, 2021
Also going to need to know about your power supply(model, age, etc) and probably case to recommend one you can power and that will fit. That CPU is probably a good match all the way up to a GTX 1660ti or GTX 970/1080, not near as bad as you're probably thinking for gaming.

SilverStone Redline RL04B ATX Mid Tower Case

Need to shut down and take the case apart to get the power data.....might take me a day or two to get to that.

NarkoSeen

Honorable
Sep 29, 2014
i have slightly newer mobo with I7-4790k CPU, best available is whatever you can afford, i got RTX 3080TI Suprim X few days ago and im never going to financially recover from this 💩