Z97 build,, checking for obvious mistakes on my shopping list

Ouze

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2012
Hello all,
I am building a new PC to go with my Vive. I have built many PC's before, but I haven't done it in a while and there have of course been many advances since then.

This build has no GPU since I am going to use the GTX 970 that is in my current desktop.

Bitfenix M-ATX case

EVGA Supernova 750 PSU

GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 (Z97 express)

I7 4790

G-Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600

Samsung 850 EVO / 250gb

Does everything look right there? I know the CPU is marginally better than required currently, I'm more worried about something stupid like the wrong CPU package or RAM speed.

Also, I'm not on a super tight budget, but if I'm buying something which a much better alternative I'd love to hear so.

Thanks!

Solution

TheyThinkImNinja

Commendable
May 22, 2016
If you dont mind spending a little bit more i would suggest buying the 1070 or 1080 when they come out, more of just confirming you get the best framerates and such, but i see that this is fine, although i suggest the white version of the case (purely opinion)

Ouze

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2012

I am indeed going to pick up a 1080 when available but I am going to drop that into my current PC, I think.

... I don't think I know enough about this. What chipset should I be looking at in that situation? This would be DDR4, right?

Something like this...

Z170A Gaming Pro

Ripjaws V series

i7-6770k

850 EVO

750 watt PSU

and whatever ATX case?

CV_Taihou

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015

Exactly. There's not much point going with older DDR3 based systems now since the price of both are pretty much on par. If you're on a tight budget but want the i7, you could go with something like this. Swapped out the Z series chipset for H since it's more affordable to not overclock. Also you don't need to purchase a CPU Cooler with the locked chips, which also helps to cut costs down. Still has 16gb of RAM, and a much better PSU (which is on sale for a really good price. It's overkill, but it's a high quality cheap PSU, something that you don't find very often)

i7-6700

Solution