Zalman to Make Its Own Line of SSD Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Wow, up to 60MB/s on the 32GB drive? Way to release an SSD more expensive and slower than many 2.5" HDDs. Other than low-power applications, whats the point of that drive?

Now the N-series, those look pretty good, and with minimal price increase over the slower S-series.

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Hellwig... access times and read performance (up to 260MB/sec) are more important on what, at only 32GB, is almost certainly a boot drive.

TeKEffect

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Zalman gets less relevant every year. They used to rule the heatsink market but now there are plenty of good ones. Their cases are overpriced and customer service is terrible. Intel and ocz have dads under control. Zalman need not apply

ares1214

Splendid
Look pretty nice, but i dont care if they dont bring some nice feature to the table. Every company has SF drivers within $10 of each other generally, they wont stand out if its just another.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
At least they are getting into the game and accepting that SSD's are becoming more mainstream, unlike Seagate, which seems to have their head up their asses...

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Damn,
[citation][nom]darkerson[/nom]At least they are getting into the game and accepting that SSD's are becoming more mainstream, unlike Seagate, which seems to have their head up their asses...[/citation]

You said exactly what i wanted to say.... +10 thumbs

[citation][nom]darkerson[/nom]At least they are getting into the game and accepting that SSD's are becoming more mainstream, unlike Seagate, which seems to have their head up their asses...[/citation]

I'd like a mix of SSD and Spinning disk (I get this on my thinkpad, but need to use two 2.5 inch drives to get it). Seagate is playing with drives that combine SSDs and spinning. So far, maybe3 not a winner. But much better than "head up their... "

The Seagate® Momentus® XT drive is a solid state hybrid with Adaptive Memory™ technology, enabling the drive to deliver SSD-like performance along with higher capacity.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Dont get me wrong, I genuinely like Seagate, even after some of their technical blunders and whatnot (I happen to own one of the notorious 7200.11 1.5TB drives), but lately their business tactics have left me scratching my head. I just dont want them to get left behind, because if they ever were to go out of business or become less of a player in the hard drive market, thats one less company to compete for our money.
But anyway, bravo again Zalman, even if you dont have the best line of SSD's out there, the extra competition should benefit us all.

chiral

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
Still waiting to see another controller that can compete with the Sandforce...

$289 for the 128GB is way too expensive to compete with OCZ, Mushkin, even Corsair.

I'm always confused when a company puts out a product that is nearly identical to other products at a heavy markup and 6 months late. Western Digital did this with their SSD drives also I believe.

If you're going to make a play, go all in or go home IMO.

*I make no claims to build quality or warranty, I have no idea if Zalman outpaces the other companies in these fields.

G

100% I would love to get this noiseless super silent Zalman SSD.

Tassadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2007
Well to be honest, most if not ANY SSD is better than a 5.2/7.2k RPM SATA/IDE HDD. It's awesome, and a good investment, but the tech is pretty expensive still (talking about someone who pays for his living). In most parts of the world it's hard to get one of these without sacrificing something else. I'd like to get my hands on a SSD in the near future, still running on SATA2. Oh well, good job, really hoping to see more big players on the SSD market to improve and find ways to improve and make the tech cheaper for the end user.

Also, good luck to all contestants for the SSD contest!

Status
Not open for further replies.