[SOLVED] Zen 3 or Core-X/socket 2066?

TR0767

Reputable
Sep 11, 2019
I'm almost ready for a brand-new build. I've got everything but the CPU/GPU and motherboard. I'm leaning towards Zen3, but I'm also considering an I9-10980 processor as well. 75% gaming, with 15% content creation/streaming, and 10% running VMs. My biggest quandary - I'd love to be able to put a whole 256GB of RAM into a mobo, but of course if I go with socket 2066, I give up PCIe 4. Then again, I've NEVER had an SSD so I wouldn't know the diff LOL. Coming from an I5-6400 with 32GB RAM, a GTX 1060 (6GB) and 10TB of HDD storage.

THoughts? I want to "futureproof" as much as possible, but I'm stuck on this. Would love some feedback. Multiple minds are always better than one :)

Solution
You want futureproof: go AMD.

It looks like money is not an issue for you. I suggest AMD's upcoming 16c/32t. You can stream at x264 slow/slower preset and it will only take 15-22% CPU usage on OBS. You get high quality 60fps VODs instead of streaming and recording at the same time.

And here's the fun part: most games I run on my 3950X/1080Ti only consumes 10 to 15% CPU usage on Ultra (Destiny, AC:Odyssey, Dota, GTA V)

And yes. I play games while logging into multiple VM Horizon clients while at work. (This pandemic is a blessing for my own selfish immoral ways.)

AMD = Flawless Productivity
Intel = 5 extra fps in games while consuming high cpu usage and heat.

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
You want futureproof: go AMD.

It looks like money is not an issue for you. I suggest AMD's upcoming 16c/32t. You can stream at x264 slow/slower preset and it will only take 15-22% CPU usage on OBS. You get high quality 60fps VODs instead of streaming and recording at the same time.

And here's the fun part: most games I run on my 3950X/1080Ti only consumes 10 to 15% CPU usage on Ultra (Destiny, AC:Odyssey, Dota, GTA V)

And yes. I play games while logging into multiple VM Horizon clients while at work. (This pandemic is a blessing for my own selfish immoral ways.)

AMD = Flawless Productivity
Intel = 5 extra fps in games while consuming high cpu usage and heat.

Reactions: RodroX and TR0767
Solution

kanewolf

Titan
I'm almost ready for a brand-new build. I've got everything but the CPU/GPU and motherboard. I'm leaning towards Zen3, but I'm also considering an I9-10980 processor as well. 75% gaming, with 15% content creation/streaming, and 10% running VMs. My biggest quandary - I'd love to be able to put a whole 256GB of RAM into a mobo, but of course if I go with socket 2066, I give up PCIe 4. Then again, I've NEVER had an SSD so I wouldn't know the diff LOL. Coming from an I5-6400 with 32GB RAM, a GTX 1060 (6GB) and 10TB of HDD storage.

THoughts? I want to "futureproof" as much as possible, but I'm stuck on this. Would love some feedback. Multiple minds are always better than one :)
256GB RAM is a HUGE waste for the 75% you are gaming. It might benefit for the 10% you have VMs. BUT it is much cheaper to purchase a used server for your VMs and have a host that is designed for 256GB RAM. With that much RAM you really want ECC.

Reactions: RodroX and TR0767

TR0767

Reputable
Sep 11, 2019
Thank you to both Eridanus and Kanewolf! I'd never considered the fact that that much RAM would end up getting wasted. And I don't want the thing running too hot - so I think I'll stay with my original plan of AMD. As for the $$ part of it, I've been saving for months. I'm working 60 hours a week from home, which helps since the wife is laid off, but it also helps me to put $$ away towards the build. I've already spent $3100, and it looks like I'll be close to $5k when I'm done. My budget was $4 - guess I'd make a lousy Project Manager :)

Reactions: EridanusSV

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
Thank you to both Eridanus and Kanewolf! I'd never considered the fact that that much RAM would end up getting wasted. And I don't want the thing running too hot - so I think I'll stay with my original plan of AMD. As for the $$ part of it, I've been saving for months. I'm working 60 hours a week from home, which helps since the wife is laid off, but it also helps me to put $$ away towards the build. I've already spent $3100, and it looks like I'll be close to $5k when I'm done. My budget was $4 - guess I'd make a lousy Project Manager :)
No penalties for withdrawing from 401K too. (; I borrowed a couple grand recently for my new build. Feels nice spending money I saved -- I mean the market's down, it's not generating any $$ anyway.