Question Zen 3 Threadripper Pro will require new motherboard?

2ms

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Sorry for the basic question, but I am in the market for a powerful workstation. Excited that an updated Threadripper generation appears to be coming soon. However, could anyone clarify for me whether or not this CPU will require a new generation of motherboards as well? I see it looks like it will still use DDR4 but the socket appears to be different maybe.

Any clarity on that as well as on what the implications would be on real-world availability would be appreciated. If the CPU is released on March 8, does that mean you probably won’t be able to get one at a reasonable price until 3 months later or something and does it also mean that you will also need to wait for Asus or whoever to make new motherboards available, also months later?

2ms

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Considering AMD made separate sockets for Zen 1 vs. Zen 2 based Threadrippers, I would expect them to make another incompatible socket for the Zen 3 Threadripper, assuming it even comes to market.

Are the necessary motherboards usually available out of the gate or is there typically a long wait before you can get everything necessary to build a system?

More powerful than what the 'mainstream' 5950X can offer? Threadripper/TR Pro jumps price up quite significantly in 32C or above configs...

(Of course, some need those cores, and if that applies to you,...wait and see....? I can't imagine the new TR series being 'released' with no mainboards semi-available)