BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
Does anyone know how to get a Nec zip drive assigned a letter. I have it cabled in with my hard drive as slave and the device manager shows it as Generick Nec floppy disk. With out a drive letter assigned its no go.My windows expert guide said that I don't need any special drivers that win 98 will reconize it and install it. I even tried some Iomega drivers that I had and no show. the Iomega sofware can't find any Iomega devices. I realize that this is a generic zip so Iomega probaly could't find it for that reason. thanks. Bruce

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That's odd. I run a NEC Zip and W98 recognized without the drivers and gave it a letter.

Try this
- Go to Device Manager.
- open Disk drives and right click on the listing for the Zip
- Go down to Properties, then to settings
- Go to the bottom and click on Reserved drive letters and assign it a single letter (for example, mine is E) and make sure the same letter is in both Start and End.

BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
I have already tried that but every thing is grayed out except for a check mark in the removal drive box. Unchecking that does not open up any other options. bruce

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Are you sure the 'generic NEC floppy disk' isn't the entry for your floppy drive? That's exactly what device manager on my machine states.

The Zip drive (which I have as secondary slave) has an entry marked 'Iomega Zip 100'.

It sounds to me that your computer doesn't recognize the Zip at all, is it listed during boot-up?

Apologies if I'm mistaken on this.

BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
My Mistake . it is listed as generic IDE disk type47. The is no way to set a drive letter. Those areas in the settings area are grayed out except for DMA and Removable. Bruce

BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
Sorry I'm Dain Bread to night. I guess it all comes down to windows is not reconizing the zip drive. Just my luck. Maybe I should set it to master and my cd-rom to slave and hook it in with the cd instead of the hard drive. Bruce

BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
I figured out the problem with the zip drive. I placed a jumper on the two pins for slave . I decided to take the jumper off,with the jumper off it is also slave and the PC and windows reconized it and it is working. Thanks for the help. bruce