Zorin Ubuntu install using external hard-drive NOT USB Stick

rickyreeve

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
I have been searching online for HOURS trying to find the solution and everybody has given me bad advice that doesn't work. I have download the latest version of Zorin to my desktop but I need to install it on another machine via an external hard drive that is not a pen drive. I can format the drive to either NTFS or ExFAT, there is no FAT32 option.
I have been advise to use the 'Windows 7 USB/DVD' tool to copy the bootable .iso image onto the hard-drive but this tool doesn't detect the hard-drive.
I have also been advised to use the 'unetbootin' tool, but again, this tool doesn't recognise the USB hard-drive.

I am now close to giving up and I just want someone to tell me how I can install Zorin onto my machine using a 1TB external hard drive. I don't have a working Disk drive to use.

I understand I might need to boot a LIVE copy and then once this is running, I should have an option for a full install on the new desktop. (I THINK.)

PLEASE HELP ME.

USAFRet

Titan
OK...back up a minute:
Where do you want to install this? Specifically, on what type of drive?
And what do you want to install it from? USB? DVD? Some external drive?

Zorin is just another Linux distro, that looks somewhat like Windows...

rickyreeve

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013

I have another laptop and I need it installed on that, on it's internal hard-drive.
I need to install it from an external drive.

USAFRet

Titan

3 links:
PenDriveLinux
PenDriveLinux Universal USB installer
ZorinOS Install guide

So...on your external drive, remove/copy anything you need to keep that exists on it. The bootable drive creation may blow all of that away.
PenDrive linux will allow you to turn that into a boot/installation device.

Can your laptop boot from a USB? Probably...You might need to change your BIOS settings to allow this.

rickyreeve

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013

Pendrivelinux has EXACTLY the same problem as the 'Windows 7 USB/DVD' tool and the 'unetbootin' tool... they won't detect my USB Hard-Drive. This is the same advice everyone has given me but it never works. I have two BLANK external hard-drives but none get detected. I suspect it's because they are not Fat32 but Windows 7 doesn't allow you to format Fat32 anymore, they only give you ExFat or NTFS to choose from. I'm confused why anyone would still use Fat32 because this is an old format from the XP era that is very inefficient.

Do you have any other ways to install because these tools are no good?

The only option I have is to use an external hard-drive because the Disk drive isn't working on the laptop I want to install on. That laptop currently has a broken version of linux on it from a previous attempt to install that went wrong as well so unless I can install the Zorin OS on it, i might as well chuck it away.

EDIT:
There was an option on the 'Pendrivelinux' tool to show 'all drives' but it said "BE CAREFUL" next to it. Anyway, I selected it because it wouldn't show my external hard-drives without it. I then ran the tool and it started to work ok but then I got a error (1) popup that said the USB won't be bootable. The tool carried on doing what it does after I selected 'ok'

So clearly, this isn't going to work.

It might help if you know how to change a hard-drive to a Fat32 file format because this seems to be the problem. Windows 7 doesn't provide this option in the format anymore, just ExFat and NTFS.

rickyreeve

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013

I edited my last post but then noticed you had replied so I'll add it here...

There was an option on the 'Pendrivelinux' tool to show 'all drives' but it said "BE CAREFUL" next to it. Anyway, I selected it because it wouldn't show my external hard-drives without it. I then ran the tool and it started to work ok but then I got a error (1) popup that said the USB won't be bootable. The tool carried on doing what it does after I selected 'ok'

So clearly, this isn't going to work.

It might help if you know how to change a hard-drive to a Fat32 file format because this seems to be the problem. Windows 7 doesn't provide this option in the format anymore, just ExFat and NTFS.

rickyreeve

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed because I MAY have found a solution at last. THIS website has a free tool that converts hard-drives to the FAT32 format. Apparently, windows 7+ won't give the FAT32 option when you format if the drive is larger than 32GB for some reason.
Anyway, the hard drive is now FAT32 and I'm trying the 'Pendrivelinux' tool again. Again, it still didn't detect the drive for some reason so I selected the ''show all drives' option and ran it again. This time, I didn't get that error (1) at the beginning and it seems to be working. As soon as it's finished, I'll try the install on my other laptop so as I said, fingers and toes crossed. Haha

I'll let you know how I got on.

rickyreeve

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
Just to let you know, I think I've cracked it. I'm waiting for Zorin to install now but I'm confident it will work because I went through all of the set-up options without any problems. Thank you 'USAFRet' for at least trying to help me, I really do appreciate it, because you was trying to help, it encouraged me to keep trying instead of giving up so your a star.

For anyone with the same problem as me, just visit the link I posted earlier to download a quick free tool that formats your hard drive to FAT32. This was the problem for me. Also, another thing that may help you to resolve your problem if your using a large external hard-drive rather than a small USB pendrive, when searching for solutions online, it's best to use the term HDD because otherwise people just assume it's a pendrive and give advice that might not work. As crazy as that sounds, it made a big difference for me as this small thing was the source of most of my confusion. You wouldn't believe how many websites I visited and pages I read that seem like a big waste of time now that I've found the solution.

BTW, while writing this post, the Zorin OS installation has finished and I am now looking at my new desktop on my other computer. Thanks again. :)

avizzz

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014

Hello ....I have an alternative for if you have any Virtulazation Tool.
Let me be clear about your requirement.
You want to install ubuntu in External HardDrive.
For this you need follwing things--
1-UBUNTU ISO file
2-External HDD
3-VMWARE/VIRTUALBOX [AnyVirtualMachine Tool]
4-A computer [Obviously :p]

Copy the Ubuntu Iso image to computer Drive and configure a Virtual Machine on local drive using VMWARE/VirtualBox.
Provide the source as ISO file and proceed.
Before starting the virtual machine make sure to connect the external HDD and mount it inside VM.
Now start the VM.
It will show the HDD is mounted and ask you for Installation of UBUNTU.
Select Install Ubuntu and proceed through installlation.
At partition screen choose "Something else" rather than selecting default Disk.
Now You shoud see your HDD listed in the partition table...
Make desired partitions and remember to select HDD from drop down of boot loader installation.
Proceed through installation...
You are Done....
Boot to the USB HDD now////
all the best!!

TRENDING THREADS