[SOLVED] Zotac 1080ti fan control

kuujo

Distinguished
May 19, 2013
My new Zotac 1080ti mini runs like a jet engine.

It starts all nice and slow when system is booting up, but as soon as I see windows welcome screen, tornado goes off.

GPU-Z shows a very random chart of my RPM being mainly 0, and jumping for a split second to anything up to 500RPM, while in reality at least the bigger fan seems to be at full speed constantly. The temps when idle are below 30C, and the fans still run like they're trying to put out a fire. When I'm gaming the fans sound exactly the same as idle, only temperatures go up to 60C.

I've installed Firestorm, and tried to manually set fan curves, but it does nothing. I've read that this card has it hardcoded in bios to not allow user to set fans below 44%, but that aside, something is off because it seems to ignore even it's default curve and I can't change anything.

Any clues what's wrong? I'm up to date with bios on my motherboard, and nvidia drivers. It doesn't seem physically damaged, the smaller fan does seem to put a bit of resistance, when trying to move it with finger, but this just might be the way it is, since it's a different type of fan than the big one. I really want to avoid sending it back, it will take months and I need it for work.

The noise from it pierces through my headphones with music on. I'm ready to replace the fans with some alternative if it's possible.

Solution
If a manual fan curve doesn't change anything, and it truly is that loud (even at idle), I'd suspect a defect with the card. I'm not aware of complaints re: idle noise for the 1080TI Mini.

While you *could* look to replace fans etc, that seems unnecessary. Why do you suspect it'll take months to replace a card? RMA'ing it, or if new, the retailers return policy shouldn't take too long.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
If a manual fan curve doesn't change anything, and it truly is that loud (even at idle), I'd suspect a defect with the card. I'm not aware of complaints re: idle noise for the 1080TI Mini.

While you *could* look to replace fans etc, that seems unnecessary. Why do you suspect it'll take months to replace a card? RMA'ing it, or if new, the retailers return policy shouldn't take too long.

Solution
Apr 6, 2020
Hey Kuujo, I know this was marked as resolved but never saw your response. I also just picked up a Zotac Mini 1080Ti and am noticing these obnoxious fan speeds too, at such low temperatures. Afterburner doesnt let me go any lower.