Question Zotac 4080 minimum fan speed 30%?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff_120

Honorable
Dec 11, 2016
Hi
I checked my zotac 4080 fan curve and it looks like it can't go below 30% fan speed for idle
I am a bit noob in zotac fan curves but isn't it supposed to be fanless when idle?

Hi
I checked my zotac 4080 fan curve and it looks like it can't go below 30% fan speed for idle
I am a bit noob in zotac fan curves but isn't it supposed to be fanless when idle?
Not all card manufacturers having everything set the exact same... That being said most of the time with things in your case the gpu could be sitting at temps idle that keep the card just warm enough for the fans to stay on... Generally if a card has this issue and there nothing wrong with the card it's because there's not enough air flow through the case to allow the card to cool off enough for it to shut off the fans.... I.e. people who think I have 16 case fans I can put my computer in a cubby and it shouldn't over heat... No it being in cubby means it recirculating all that hot air though it keeping it hot... Or tucked up under a desk against the wall not allowing all the heat to be pushed out so it all stagnet hot air in and around the PC again recirculating all the hot air not actually allowing the system to cool off

Not all card manufacturers having everything set the exact same... That being said most of the time with things in your case the gpu could be sitting at temps idle that keep the card just warm enough for the fans to stay on... Generally if a card has this issue and there nothing wrong with the card it's because there's not enough air flow through the case to allow the card to cool off enough for it to shut off the fans.... I.e. people who think I have 16 case fans I can put my computer in a cubby and it shouldn't over heat... No it being in cubby means it recirculating all that hot air though it keeping it hot... Or tucked up under a desk against the wall not allowing all the heat to be pushed out so it all stagnet hot air in and around the PC again recirculating all the hot air not actually allowing the system to cool off
I only know this because I'm one of these people.... My computer sits on the ground behind a dresser 30ft from another source of heat and still hits max temps if I don't pull the dresser away from it when I go to use it... As long as the dresser isn't against the PC and I pull the PC of the wall before use. It stays at normal temps never getting close to over heating.... If I leave everything the way it is not being used them just go to straight using it in about 20minutes of use it shuts off due to over heating

Jeff_120

Honorable
Dec 11, 2016
No it's not a matter of case air flow, my case is pretty well vented and large (TT Commander C34)
It's the Firestorm app that is blocked to 30% minimum in Manual mode and in the curve even though I set it lower than 30%
The GPU is at 27c
1650142913_Screenshot2022-12-04110950.thumb.jpg.7f1c314e2758af93c792c2fa5aea8dd3.jpg

607171682_Screenshot2022-12-04111039.thumb.jpg.3684154443c86842baa76ac82e8c406b.jpg

No it's not a matter of case air flow, my case is pretty well vented and large (TT Commander C34)
It's the Firestorm app that is blocked to 30% minimum in Manual mode and in the curve even though I set it lower than 30%
The GPU is at 27c
1650142913_Screenshot2022-12-04110950.thumb.jpg.7f1c314e2758af93c792c2fa5aea8dd3.jpg

607171682_Screenshot2022-12-04111039.thumb.jpg.3684154443c86842baa76ac82e8c406b.jpg
I don't understand what's going on with my phone I posted this https://www.evga.com/precisionx/ 3 times and everytime I hit post it changes the link and I'm getting annoyed with it right now

Jan 3, 2023
Hi
I got a Zotac 4080 Trinity OC and i have exactly the same Problem.....switch between the Bios = no Effect, Manualmode = no Effect, Fan curve = no Effect still 30% Fanspeed. You`re the 3rd Person that i know with the same Problem.

Like every motor, there's inertia that it has to overcome with torque before it can turn. However, because a stalled electric motor still has electric current going through it, it's dangerous to allow this condition to exist because it'll overheat/burn out. So that's why you can't set a value between 0 and the minimum, assuming the thing is smart enough to figure this out.

Jan 3, 2023
Like every motor, there's inertia that it has to overcome with torque before it can turn. However, because a stalled electric motor still has electric current going through it, it's dangerous to allow this condition to exist because it'll overheat/burn out. So that's why you can't set a value between 0 and the minimum, assuming the thing is smart enough to figure this out.

The Freeze Fan Stop is a Feature from the Zotac 40 Series that doesn't work.....older Cards have that feature too like my GTX 980 from MSI.

5900x

Commendable
Aug 18, 2021
I'm not sure but this seems to be different for different brands. Even my age old Strix GTX 970 from Asus has the zero fan setting by default, it does nothing until the temps hit 65c. But considering now I know that Zotac does this, I will avoid this brand. Thank you for bringing this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.