Zotac GTX1070 AMP Extreme and a HPZ800 with 6 pin connectors

IIBit

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016
Hi everyone,

I have purchased a Zotac GTX1070 AMP Extreme after my Quadro5000 kicked the bucket.

As you might have read from the title, I have only two 6pin connectors from my PSU. As luck would have it, the Zotac card came with two adapter cables (2x 6pins to 1x 8pins). I want to know if I should connect my two remaining 6pin psu cables to the 2 adapters ( and leave one 6pin orphaned ), or should I go another way?

I have checked my PSU and it have 1250 Watt output, so I'm good in that department ( I think ), but is safe to use these adapters?

Solution
According to this review: http://hothardware.com/reviews/zotac-geforce-gtx-1070-amp-extreme-review?page=6
...the entire system using that card demanded 277W measured at the wall socket. Since each fully wired 6-pin cable has a 150W capacity when used with the 8-pin adapter*, that allows for more than enough capacity to run that card. That, and the fact that each +12V rail is rated for 18A and comes off a separate rail. (+12VG1, +12VG2)

Feel the wires on the 6-pin side of the connection occasionally when gaming. If they are not hot, you are fine. That PSU (while powerful enough) is not wired with the thought of a high end gaming card being used.

Does that system have any free Molex connectors available?

* the extra...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If your 6-pin cables are fully wired (3 colored wires and 3 black wires) they are safe for 150W. Using an adapter is fine. But that still leaves one of the card's 8-pin header unpopulated, doesn't it?

Btw... If your 1250W PSU only has 2 x 6-pin cables, it must be old, low quality, or designed for a server/workstation that normally doesn't have the +12V rail capacity. Can you see the nameplate on the PSU?

IIBit

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. I think I've gotten everything to work, but I've taken two pictures, just to make sure I don't get any nasty suprises later on. There is one picture of the PSU nameplate, and one of the 1070 connected with the two adapters.

See HERE

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
According to this review: http://hothardware.com/reviews/zotac-geforce-gtx-1070-amp-extreme-review?page=6
...the entire system using that card demanded 277W measured at the wall socket. Since each fully wired 6-pin cable has a 150W capacity when used with the 8-pin adapter*, that allows for more than enough capacity to run that card. That, and the fact that each +12V rail is rated for 18A and comes off a separate rail. (+12VG1, +12VG2)

Feel the wires on the 6-pin side of the connection occasionally when gaming. If they are not hot, you are fine. That PSU (while powerful enough) is not wired with the thought of a high end gaming card being used.

Does that system have any free Molex connectors available?

* the extra two pins on the 8-pin are merely redundant grounds for stability.

Solution