Zotac Reveals New Mini PCs Ahead Of Computex

Status
Not open for further replies.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
RAID on something this size is pretty much a waste of space considering you're raiding platter drives which even raided can't come anywhere near the performance of even an average SSD. RAID 3 would be more useful from a failover perspective but would require at least 3 slots. It seems like just a gimmick and a feature no one asked for, especially on devices of this size.

stevenrix

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
Raid also provides redundancy which is always good. Raid 3 does not exist, for this type of solution it's either RAID 0 or RAID 1.

LordConrad

Distinguished
RAID on something this size is pretty much a waste of space considering you're raiding platter drives which even raided can't come anywhere near the performance of even an average SSD. RAID 3 would be more useful from a failover perspective but would require at least 3 slots. It seems like just a gimmick and a feature no one asked for, especially on devices of this size.
Most people using RAID on this device will choose either RAID 1 or JBOD, using RAID 0 on a boot drive or primary data drive is just stupid.

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
If you plan on using this as a media server (or any other form of server), RAID 1 would be quite handy as if one of the disks fail, the other will have a backup of it.

And while your right that platter drives in RAID 0 cant compete with a SSD for throughput, the SSD will be quite a bit more expensive for storage size compared to traditional platters.

Their R series of systems aren't designed for gaming, but media/server duties; where size and/or reliability is much more important than throughput.

PaulBags

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2015
2.5" hdds don't get very big, 1tb unless you want to pay insane amounts of money. On the other hand a single 3.5" could get you 8tb, they'd have been better off making it slightly taller and putting a wingle 3.5" slot in there.

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Raid 1 8tb drives would make for a tiny media server sufficient for most people. It could handle a handful of users streaming 1080p. Expensive but functional if you can't afford the space to house a larger chassis.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236551&ignorebbr=1
2TB Green wd drive $129. More expensive than 3.5in of course, but not totally evil. Samsung has a spinpoint 2TB for $99 also. So 4TB in two of them for $200 isn't too bad, but yeah, I would much rather have them be a little taller for two 4TB for ~$220 (taking two externals and removing them to save costs and get 2 free usb 3 boxes...LOL) and the ability to go MUCH larger at some point later. That is FAR too much space to waste just due to wanting it so small. GROW THE BOXES people. A small increase in height gives us a possible choice of 16-20TB if desired (now if you're rich, or later as even larger drives hit). I am purposely WAITING for a box that is properly sized (3.5in x 2 etc) with the parts I want in it, or I'll just build my own shoebox PC, which screws zotac etc out of any purchase from me.

I have the same problem with phones and their incessant need to make them thinner instead of giving me the BATTERY & perf I'd want. I don't like the way these wafer thin phones really feel in my hand either. I have no desire to hold a credit card as a phone, give me something with more meat not less (even if I usually use a headset), as current stuff just seems so breakable. Maybe 14/10nm will finally make the battery issue go away, but I still hate THIN and flimsy feeling. It's not that they have to take all those models away, but jeez, at least put one or two out for those of us who want FAT and BATTERY life (and possibly extra perf there if desired also due to the extra battery life, more space so perhaps less throttle issues etc).

Steveymoo

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Most people using RAID on this device will choose either RAID 1 or JBOD, using RAID 0 on a boot drive or primary data drive is just stupid.

Back in the day (I'm talking 10 years ago,) I used to run RAID 0 on platter disks as a primary drive. Everything essential (work, music, media etc,) would be stored on a backup disk, and everything that relies heavily on speed, software, OS etc, remained on the RAID 0 array. If they ever broke down (and they never did, over 4 years of usage,) it would be easy just to reinstall the OS and software. RAID 0 used to be a real boon back in the platter days, but now it's kinda useless with SSDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS