Zotac Sonix NVMe SSD Review: Our First E7 Tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
The different colors for the first and later parts of the review is a one off. We added the compressible / incompressible tests to the tests early in the review so there was a shift. In the future I'll just use a red dotted line if adding something special.

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Good article, Chris Ramseyer.

"Real-world software rarely pushes fast storage devices to their limits"

Chris, I am curious about what all holds back NVMe SSD's from getting their full potential? What all needs to come together to reach their full potential? Will Kaby Lake and the new 200-Series Chipset Union Point motherboards help to get better performance out of the new NVMe & Optane SSD's? I've heard we need a far bigger BUS too. I am holding out for an NVMe SSD that will actually reach the claimed 32 Gb/s or close to it - minus overhead.

TbsToy

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
So Chris what is your opinion on which of these drives should be used where. Workstation, PC desktop, laptop etc. as the most 'suitable' drive among this group for which machine?
W.P

TbsToy

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
So Cris which of these drives to you consider to be the most useful with which type of machine, server, workstation, PC, or laptop?
W.P.

Kewlx25

Distinguished
Good article, Chris Ramseyer.

"Real-world software rarely pushes fast storage devices to their limits"

Chris, I am curious about what all holds back NVMe SSD's from getting their full potential? What all needs to come together to reach their full potential? Will Kaby Lake and the new 200-Series Chipset Union Point motherboards help to get better performance out of the new NVMe & Optane SSD's? I've heard we need a far bigger BUS too. I am holding out for an NVMe SSD that will actually reach the claimed 32 Gb/s or close to it - minus overhead.

This is my semi-educated guess.

1) The storage chips need to be faster, but they are pretty fast.
2) Controllers need to be faster. Less complicated overhead, better command concurrency, etc
3) There is a latency vs throughput issue. If most programs are making one request at a time and waiting for the response for that request, then you need really low latency to have high bandwidth. On the other hand, if a program makes many concurrent requests, then it just multiplied its theoretical peak bandwidth.

Similar issue with why TCP has a transmit window. Waiting for a response over high latency slows you down. The main difference is TCP pushes data. Reading from the harddrive pulls data.

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
Opine will change things a bit because it lowers the QD1 latency. It will make your computer feel faster thus increasing the user experience.

Beyond that, we need a complete overhaul to effectively utilize NVMe in regular computers. The software needs to reach out for more data at the same time. The Windows file systems (other than ReFS) are all aging. We need a big shift in software across the board. It's just like with video games and other software right now. Nothing pushed the limits of the hardware. VR could be change that but I suspect we are still 5 years away from VR for anyone other than enthusiasts.

TbsToy - NVMe accelerates all tasks by lowering latency. We're starting to see the tech ship in notebooks from MSI and Lenovo. Custom desktops from companies like Maingrear and AVA sell with NVMe as well. I would say use it wherever you find a place. The Samsung NVMe drives sell for a very small premium over the SATA-based 850 Pro. You get workstation and in some cases enterprise-level performance capabilities for the rare instances when the load gets that high.

jt AJ

Reputable
Oct 4, 2015
Opine will change things a bit because it lowers the QD1 latency. It will make your computer feel faster thus increasing the user experience.

Beyond that, we need a complete overhaul to effectively utilize NVMe in regular computers. The software needs to reach out for more data at the same time. The Windows file systems (other than ReFS) are all aging. We need a big shift in software across the board. It's just like with video games and other software right now. Nothing pushed the limits of the hardware. VR could be change that but I suspect we are still 5 years away from VR for anyone other than enthusiasts.

TbsToy - NVMe accelerates all tasks by lowering latency. We're starting to see the tech ship in notebooks from MSI and Lenovo. Custom desktops from companies like Maingrear and AVA sell with NVMe as well. I would say use it wherever you find a place. The Samsung NVMe drives sell for a very small premium over the SATA-based 850 Pro. You get workstation and in some cases enterprise-level performance capabilities for the rare instances when the load gets that high.

cpu is hitting a dead limit due to software not capable of taking advantage of new instruction hence we see 5% improvement on cpu year after year, and thats also because microsoft window legacy support and why so many old software still work on new windows.

when software programmed to take advantage of cpu's new instructions we'll see a huge jump in cpu performance and would mean more data taken from SSD overall just faster.

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
I'm not sure when we will see Optane used in consumer or enterprise applications. It's coming but I don't know when or even how we will see it first. I hate to even speculate but I do see a few paths that make it economical, yet still useful, in the client SSD market. It would make an excellent cache for TLC for instance.

G-Unit - I think when Phison has the M.2 version ready the price will drop quite a bit. The current card version, the first to market at that, is expensive but the M.2 should be fairly cheap. I hear Phison has a new firmware coming soon that will increase the low queue depth performance. That should make it much more competitive with existing NVMe products on the market.

This feels like a rush, "first to market" to exploit those people who think a PCIe SSD solution will beat any 2.5" or similar SSD solution.

Beta testing doesn't install long-term confidence to me. I'll wait and take a STABLE product thanks (but then I know better... as said most shoppers on Amazon do not).

epobirs

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Intel has made it clear they're pitching Optane to Enterprise first. Less price sensitive and the applications, such as big transactional databases, are far more obvious.

It's going to take some work on the OS side to make use of it in a way that is transparent to consumers while justifying the price.

epobirs

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011

100% is a small premium? I can get a Samsung 512GB 850 for around $150 on short notice. The lowest I've seen the 950 512GB on a promotion is around $290.

jt AJ

Reputable
Oct 4, 2015
100% is a small premium? I can get a Samsung 512GB 850 for around $150 on short notice. The lowest I've seen the 950 512GB on a promotion is around $290.

well you're comparing TLC to MLC drives aint the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS