Zotac Steam Machine Will Have Intel Skylake CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenjitamura

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Steam Boxes might actually become a thing when you take into consideration all the titles just announced today that are coming to SteamOS. Shadow of Mordor, Batman: Arkham Knight, Payday 2, and GRID Autosport were are all on sale as part of a special for the SteamOS right now. I'm already planning on building my own Steam box for around November when the controller hits =D

NVidia Shield desktop is cool too.

Local gaming or GRID where possible. So as GRID (cloud) gets better the quality of the games improves but no new hardware needed. Latency issues are being addressed and I'm really impressed so far.

Even got Crysis 3 working at 1080p/30FPS on the local hardware which is pretty great for a $199 USD machine (controller included).

We've got choices:

$100 - low-end media devices
$200 - Steam Shield console
$400 - PS4/XB1
$800+?? - SteamOS

For $200 the NVidia Shield is looking very interesting.

Grognak

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014
GRID won't be free forever, Nvidia already said it. So that's $200 + however much they charge per month or per game depending on the payment model they choose. And of course not everyone has a beefy enough connection to handle it.

Damn_Rookie

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014

TechyInAZ said "mobile i5 CPUs", which your provided link shows have all been dual core so far.

mavikt

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
I like that the new skylate mobile i5 CPUs are FINALLY quad core! Something that the i5 line has really needed for a while in my opinion.

I can't find anywhere in the press release where it states that the Skylake i5 is a mobile version. Just because it might be an embedded BGA chip doesn't make it "mobile".
The GPU seem to be mobile version though, as indicated by the prefix M in GTX 970M.

Grognak

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014
The parts they put in very small form factors are usually all laptop versions because of the lower TDP. On the other hand, a laptop i5 is just a dual core with HT so not really a gaming powerhouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.