Zotac Wants Your Vote On A Zbox Redesign

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJSB

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
I won't vote...because i *dislike* (to say the least), all ZBOXs, BRIXs and NUCs of this world.
How about ZOTAC return to make mini-ITX MoBo and we will take care of the cases, CPUs/APUs,etc. ?

More exactly, i propose that ZOTAC makes a FM2+ mini-ITX MoBo with follwing connectors:

HDMI, DVI-I, DisplayPort (there isn't a single mITX with DP)
2 USB 3.0
4 USB 2.0
1 PS2 Mouse (still better than USB, IMHO, YMMV).
1 PS2
RJ45
S/PDIF
Mic
Audio out
Line In
19V DC connector near audio connectors so it stay low.

PS2 connectors should be individual, i prefer that to those single PS2 connectors that can work with both devices.

Internally, use FM2+ socket of course, but make the connections for a Intel cooler because occupies less MoBo space (ECS did that with a thin mITX)

Discard PCIex16 (or even PCIeX4) connector completely... instead, install double (stacked one over the other) mPCIe with one for WiFi+BT and the other compatible with mSATA cards...make mSATA bootable.

MoBo should be thick...no thin MoBo...good VRMs, 1 Chassis FAN connector and TWO CPU fan connectors (one 4pin and one 3pin) all 3 with configurable cooling curves and PWM/Voltage ratios accordingly.

All OC options used in ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+ Mobo for RAM, CPU, iGPU, NB, SB,etc. plus all options of the MSI model (i.e. disable CPU cores so it works 2+2 (all 4 cores) , 1+1, 1+0 or 0+1 ).
Also nice to have a miniature push button inside MoBo (NOT accesible in rear panel) to clear CMOS.

Now shut up and take my money....if you dare to make this Mobo.

AJSB

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
PS: Ah yes forgot this one...the DC 19V connector is there in rear panel because...dump the ATX24 connector.
Internal circuitry should be provided for equivalent to ATX12V...

MoBo needs also one Power SATA connector and at most, 3 SATA III connectors.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished
They are all pretty ugly and PLASTIC-ey. If these things compete with NUCs, BRIXs and even Mac Minis, they will have to pony up serious enclosure engineering and ditch that moulded ABS for some decent aluminum.

ottom6n

Reputable
Jan 15, 2015
I do miss the ZOTAC mini-ITX mobos too, but these aren't that bad. Besides they seem to be more like mockups than final production mods. These might not work for final designs, but at least they're willing to work with the community to get feedback.

So who knows they might just make your suggest mini-ITX mobo.

There's even lots of molded ABS that looks a lot better than those.....

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
The Zbox should include:

M.2 & SSD capability via NVMe interface at 20 Gbps to 40 Gbps
PCIe 3.0 for now and PCIe 4.0 when it comes out soon
HDMI 2.0 and DisplayPort 1.3
good fan & cooling vents with dust protectors

the_skeptic

Reputable
Jan 15, 2015
So great to see Zotac's going to refresh their ZBOX chassis, I have a few of these tiny machines and they are awesome. It would def be a plus to see some new outlooks!

I like the top right black one!

heffeque

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2002
Not voting with Facebook account, that's for sure.

All designs are pretty ugly.
The current one is a lot nicer.

Something like the Pavilion Mini Desktop will probably attract more attention.

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
The visual design doesn't matter much IMO, what is needed is better internal design and cooling performance as the current higher-performance Zboxes are inexcusably noisy.

I'd much rather see the CPU and GPU on the same board (or one good APU), a low profile heatsink and a nice big fan on top just pulling air straight out of the case's "top" (or side, depending upon orientation). Even better if the case is aluminium and coupled directly to the heatsink, so it can provide some extra passive cooling (so the fan can run slower).

As long as they're keeping the slim design but relying on a blower fan, the cooling is going to remain horrible and that's just not appealing.

MagnetoMagnusMags

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
pretty hard choices,but on the other u go with wat u could get off hand.Not just teasing someone with a pic if something u cant even buy>>>>>>wtf.....totally sucks..well i vote for????????hmmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.