ZyXEL Claims World's First With New Gigabit Powerline Adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

yay

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
I know this is misleading, but actually no. The belkin has a gigabit network port but only manages 500mbps maximum transfer speeds.

There are even offerings with 100mbps network ports on devices capable of 4 or 500 Mbps. They still get to say it will do 500mbps, but you will never actually reach that speed even in a perfect world.

christinebcw

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
This will be an interesting test-product for us. ZyXel has been an interesting thorn-in-the-side for bigger brands for a few decades. I remember their first 14.4 modems being superior to Hayes, and then everyone jumped on the clone-modem market. 19.2 was short-lived, and next was ?? 24.4 then 28.8? Was that the steps? The ZyXel 28.8s were pretty solid - a lot of BBSs were humming with 8 of those to a COM port card.

I'll definitely be looking forward to the first WORKING gigabyte powerline.

I used 2 different types of wireless range extenders for a while, but they always had dropped connections, i always had to reset them a few times a week etc.... They were just problematic.(netgear and amped wireless)

So in a last ditch effort i bought an actiontec 500mbps powerline adapter and it's been super great. I've only had to unplug and replug it back in maybe once every 2 months. The speed is a little better than the wireless range extenders. I can get about 40mbps sustained on the actiontec powerline adapters, and only about 10-15mpbs on the wireless extenders. THe wireless extenders were useless for playing HD videos on my TV from my NAS server, but the actiontec adapters can play 720p no problem, and play some 1080p video without an issue. It does hiccup on some 1080p videos depending on the compression format.

If these zyxels can improve the speed and give double the speed, i'll be happy. Everyone mostly uses wireless range extenders, but powerline adapters are far more reliable in my experience.

christinebcw

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
GGG, we've had some clients needing that "unplug - replug" situation, too, while others don't. We can't detect the Why's or Why-Not's but since we don't live in those places, we can't be certain what the true User Experience is. Did their house lose power in a flicker? And thus a Plug-Replug was necessary? We don't know.

Do you have any sense of why that UnPlug-RePlug is necessary?

It could be as simple as a Gaussian Effect, too - just the standard electromagnetic build-up on the wiring itself. So UnPlug-RePlug might be a decent solution.

Just curious.

We've perceived a greater reliability with the 200s instead of the 500s, but that hasn't been studied. Just a 'sense'.

yay

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
Christine with the ones I have at home (all tp-links) I have only ever had to replug after loss of power, and that is in a small house with old wiring. The previous place I was in was recently built but required a replug at least once a month.

It seems really hit and miss, but over all I have no complaints compared to having to run cables in a house I don't own.

Status
Not open for further replies.