Question First time buying a mechanical keyboard, any advice or recommendations ?

Jan 30, 2024
Hello all, I'm currently in the market for a mechanical keyboard to pair with a PC that I recently built. Of course, all of my previous keyboard experience has been with whatever keyboard comes included with the computer. I grew up pounding on those Apple membrane keyboards from the Late 1990's and early 2000's, which is actually what I'm using as an interim keyboard right now. Or I was using a Laptop integrated keyboard, where I felt like I was slamming my fingertips into the desktop trying to write my term papers for university.

So, me being the naive, starry eyed twenty-something that I am, I figured buying a mechanical keyboard would be as easy as walking into Best Buy, Staples or London Drugs and picking one up off the shelf. And then I saw the price tags.

So, to be a bit more informed, I went on google/search engine of choice and YouTube to do some research on mechanical keyboards. However all the information I've come across has been a little overwhelming, and the vast majority of it involves building, or modding, a custom keyboard. I'm not opposed to a custom keyboard, but based on what I've seen they can be pretty expensive. Not to mention, there are so many different models out there that it's easy to get decision paralysis. So I figured, why not ask the internet for recommendations?

Right now, all I'm looking for is a good pre-built mechanical keyboard that won't cost me an arm and a leg.

Budget: $150.00 Canadian (~$115.00 USD)
Main Purpose: Daily Driver: Programming/Writing Reports. Gaming is a secondary use case, but not as important

Desired Features:
Number Pad: Yes, how do people do anything without a Numpad??
Function Row: Yes
Connection: Wired + Bluetooth (will settle for only one or the other if necessary)
Switch Type: *Tactile preferred, followed by Linear. Clicky are a bit too loud for work.
Switch Profile: No preference, don't mind if they're low profile or regular.
Lighting/RGB: Don't really care as long as it has at least a white backlight
Media Control: At least give me a volume button or volume key.
Programmable Keys: Don't really care about these too much right now, that may change down the road however.
Hot Swappable: Nice to have, but not strictly necessary
Device Compatibility: Both Windows and Mac if possible.

*Switch preference is based on testing display models at the store.

I'd also like to avoid being forced to buy online if I can, but it's not a hard and fast restriction. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Anyway, I'm not expecting this to get much attention, but I'd be happy to hear anyone's mechanical Keyboard recommendations for a first time keyboard buyer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
TBH if you're going down this rabbit hole I think just accept the reality that your first mech keyboard will not be your last. I'd just buy an all-rounder from a relatively mainstream brand (e.g. Keychron with Cherry Brown equivalents) and use it as a learning experience / reference point for your next mech keyboard. Otherwise you'll be stuck forever in analysis paralysis.

(I tried mech keyboards for a year or two and found them more trouble and time wasting than expected. Have found inner peace with a Lenovo office membrane KB :) )

Reactions: Dragonmaster150
Jan 30, 2024
TBH if you're going down this rabbit hole I think just accept the reality that your first mech keyboard will not be your last.
Yeah, I'm coming to terms with it. Same way I've come to terms with the fact that I'm probably going to be building more custom PCs in the future. Thanks for the suggestion though. I was considering a Keychron from the V series, but I heard some bad things about their shipping and customer service and I'm not really a fan of buying through Amazon if I can avoid it.

(I tried mech keyboards for a year or two and found them more trouble and time wasting than expected. Have found inner peace with a Lenovo office membrane KB :) )
Honestly? If the keyboard built into my Lenovo Laptop didn't have such a small travel distance (like I said, sometimes it feels like I'm slamming my fingers on the desk when I'm typing) and the arrow keys weren't so tiny, it would be perfect.

Got any suggestions for full sized Lenovo Keyboards? Maybe I can escape the mechanical keyboard rabbit hole before I get pulled any deeper.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

35below0

Notable
Jan 3, 2024
I was in a similar situation 4 months ago. First time buying a quality keyboard and first time buying a mechanical one. And likewise, i was surprised at how much information i had to digest!

I found most of the mechanical keyboards had too much RGB, and a lot of them were very tiny. After reading a lot of reviews and looking at what was available, i settled on the Patriot Memory Viper V765.

When i first saw pictures of it, i thought it was the ugliest, most garish thing i had ever seen. It was only once i bought it and took the keyboard out of the box that i came around to liking it. It felt solid and was obviously not a cheap and cheerfull keyboard. Build quality felt higher end.

It ticks all the boxes you listed *except* bluetooth, and the RGB control software is Windows only (built in controls may work though).
It has 4 media keys that i never use, a volume dial that i use often, programmable lighting (using software or special keyboard shortcuts), and a feature that disables the Start Menu or Windows keys (requires Patriot control software).

Mainly i chose it for quality and durability, and i'm pretty happy overall. I would recommend.

As for the keys, they are softer and gentler than i expected but can take some abuse. They're semi-transparent, and it's really nice to have lighting when it's dark.
If there's extra text or icons on the keys, it may not all be transparent. I think the picture explains it better. The Numpad Home, End, PgUp, PgDn text is not lit. Also note that two keys are not lit for some reason but they are not important. This could be due to localization, i'm not sure. *shrug*

And the switches...
Like you said, the information is overwhelming. Researching it all i made one mistake. I wanted keys that have a perceptible "click" to them and i thought the Red switches are the ones. Turns out Red has no feel at all (linear). Maybe should have picked Brown or White. Typing is ok and it is sturdy for gaming, i just wish i had a soft "click" to the key press. Of course, maybe you don't want that "click" at all.
It is a little bit on the loud side without being too loud. Writing a ton of text is definetly noticeable so careful you don't annoy someone. Linear keyboards are preffered for typing, according to reviews and opinions and i guess i agree. It is a good typing keyboard, and if you like Linear, then the Red variant is for you. (It's sold in Red, Brown or White afaik).

The box includes a plastic tool (that i could not identify to save my life, had to look it up online) that can pull individual keys off, should you want to replace keys. Probably not, but the option is there.

There are some cons:

The wrist rest is small and borderline useless. It's attached magnetically and i don't care about it one way or another. The second criticism is that the legs are too low. You cannot tilt the keyboard very much. Definetly a drawback but a minor one.

Lighting is programmable with some limitations. Each key can have it's own color but intensity is shared. Unfortunately, intensity also cannot be assigned to a preset meaning that if i save a bright rainbow effect, a soft blue-white highlight, and maybe a gaming related preset with WSAD + a few different colored keys, i can switch between presets with a keyboard shortcut, but adjusting intensity requires a trip to the Patriot control software OR many, many presses of the keyboard shortcut that increases or decreases brightness. So it's not 100% convenient but it's not something that gets underfoot often so i can't complain.

The software is not very good, and there is no Mac version. It does the job but feels like a poor effort. The only good thing i can say about it is that it isn't required except when making changes to presets. It doesn't have to start with Windows and stay active in order to use the keyboard. Unlike a certain mouse software i could mention...

The pros are that it's heavy, strudy, full size, dust proof, has a volume dial, and lighting controll works even without software.
It's a sensible, good mechanical keyboard, packaged inside a colorfull, gimmicky case. I would just take quality but sometimes we have to suffer the included "gaming" features.

I've no idea if it's available in a physical store near you, but i figure if i give you as much information about my own experience, it can help you make up your mind.

Here is the link to the V765: https://viper.patriotmemory.com/pro...aming-keyboard-viper-gaming-by-patriot-memory
And if you browse the Kailh store, you can read more details about which type/color is right for you. It's a little overwhelming i'm affraid, but if you're interested in a keyboard that comes in a few different flavors, read up on what makes them different.
- https://www.kailh.net/collections/box-switches/products/kailh-box-switch-set
- https://www.kailh.net/blogs/news/kailh-box-v1-vs-box-v2-switches-what-s-the-difference
And the tomshardware review: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/patriot-memory-viper-v765-keyboard,5952.html

This being a first time pruchase of a mechanical keyboard, you may not land on perfection but it will give you an idea of what you like and don't like. And if you buy quality, it will last you a long time.
Take the plunge. It will be an experience.

Picture of my model (sorry about the crappy quality): View: https://i.imgur.com/lwf3K0k.jpg

Note the slightly different Enter and Viper Fn keys compared to promo photos, AND the Tomshardware review photo!

Last edited:

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
Was in same boat myself not too long ago. Went with brown switches and they were still too loud. Think silent brown is what I'll do when I finally buy a new one. You're used to membrane keys which need a strong push and you'll barely have to touch the keys now. I found this annoying but eventually adjusted but will still add a heavier press to my list.

Problem I ran into looking at local stores is they only had red or blue switches. To get anything else I had to go online unless you going high end custom build right away.

tecmo34

Administrator
Keychron V6 Max would be my recommendation for a starting point for a custom mechanical keyboard to meet our wants.

It is full size, wireless/wired and hot swappable. It is cheaper than the "big brother" Q6 Max. You just get a good quality ABS case versus aluminum. Keychron was my first keyboard down the rabbit hole after picking up my son a GMMK Pro. I still use my Keychron K4 at the house for spreadsheet work since it has a numpad over my mainly used 75% layout keyboards.

133-d9ec68dc1864666c95dcbe5e8c66d688.jpg

35below0

Notable
Jan 3, 2024
Keychron V6 Max would be my recommendation for a starting point for a custom mechanical keyboard to meet our wants.

It is full size, wireless/wired and hot swappable. It is cheaper than the "big brother" Q6 Max. You just get a good quality ABS case versus aluminum. Keychron was my first keyboard down the rabbit hole after picking up my son a GMMK Pro. I still use my Keychron K4 at the house for spreadsheet work since it has a numpad over my mainly used 75% layout keyboards.

The Mac/Win switch and customizability make it attractive. On the Viper V765, the keycaps kinda levitate on top of the keyb case. I got used to it, but it looked very unusual at first.

Jan 30, 2024

Thanks for the recommendation! I just looked up the V6 Max on Keychron's website and it looks like a really nice board. However, one thing I noticed is that the site seems to imply that it's wireless only. Not really an issue, but if you have experience with it being both, I'll take your word for it. Unfortunately, it seems that the V6 Max is only available on the American version of the site, which also isn't a big deal. I think anyway.

Based on what I've seen, scrolling their site, I'm also considering the V5 Max, the K4 Pro and K10 Pro. Seems like the K10 Pro is pretty similar to the V6 Max, but with no gaskets and less foam.

However I did come across some some mixed information about Keychron's customer service. Some people seem to have had good experiences with them, but many have, or claim to have, had not so great ones. It may very well be a case of vocal minority, but it makes me slightly hesitant to order from them. Not sure if you folks have any insight on that point however.

The Mac/Win switch and customizability make it attractive.
That's actually pretty true for me as well actually. I grew up on a Mac and my custom PC is actually only the second windows computer that I have ever owned, the other being a Lenovo laptop that I bought specifically because my 2012 Macbook Air couldn't run an application I needed for my college program. Everything else I use is a Mac, so having the ability to change quickly between the two modes across multiple devices, even if I don't go swapping out the specific keycaps every time, is very attractive.

tecmo34

Administrator
However I did come across some some mixed information about Keychron's customer service. Some people seem to have had good experiences with them, but many have, or claim to have, had not so great ones. It may very well be a case of vocal minority, but it makes me slightly hesitant to order from them. Not sure if you folks have any insight on that point however.
I didn't have any issues with the ordering process from their site and getting the keyboard. I didn't have issues with my board, so never had to reach out to customer service for help, so can't speak to anything there. Ordering process from the site was good, IMO.

Hey there,

Like others, last year, I got into mechanical, and was similarly overwhelmed with the sheer number of choices.

After much deliberation, I settled on finding something low profile similar to my HP Omen gaming laptop. I settled on the Corsair K70 Mk2 Low profile. It comes with Cherry MX low profile speed switches. It's a lovely keyboard. Great for typing (for maybe work) and superb for gaming. Whilst it does have RGB, it can be managed to be understated with the iCUE software (which is probably one of the best software management app). Doesn't have that clicky-clack sound when you type, which I find particularly annoying.

You're taking a good approach. Make sure to try these keyboard suggestions out, so you know how it feels for you.

My next keyboard is going to be 10keyless or 60%. Again I will go for low profile.

I'm looking a Logitech G915. Mostly so the footprint of the keyboard is smaller, and is optimal for gaming.

Small bit of advice. If you go with a hot swap capable board you can install a few different switch types at once (samplers are available) which will help you decide on your preference. Same goes for keycaps. Your choices do not just boil down to Red, Blue, Brown, there are dozens of variations of each, and the differences are not as subtle as one would think. I went with Jelly Purples from Akko, which are a tactile variant (Cherry Brown) with a higher actuation force and more tactility than a standard Brown. I built two boards with them, a Glorious barebones based wired TKL board for the desktop, and a Redragon wireless TKL prebuilt for on the go. They are slightly different in how they sound and feel, due to chassis materials (Glorious is aluminium, Redragon is ABS) but they are both sublime. It's also a bit of fun choosing and building something that's just for me. Wish I'd done it sooner. FWIW the Glorious board cost around 250CAD all in (Barebones kit, switches, caps), the RD was about 150CAD all in (Prebuilt board, switches, optional caps). Subtract about 80CAD for each to account for the overpriced Drop keycaps I used. Don't get me wrong I'd use them again, but they are overpriced for what they are. Drop had the specific colour and layout I desired, the white box brands didn't.