Question 2004 Ford Ranger Edge Won't Start

MajorPager

Upstanding
Aug 8, 2023
I've got a friend who has a 2004 Ford Ranger Edge that we cannot seem to get started. All it does is sputter when we turn the key over, but it seems to almost be able to start while holding the gas pedal all the way down. It has been sitting for a while but it is in somewhat decent condition. Everything in it works such as the windows, door locks, lights, radio, but not the motor. The thing is that we got it to crank once, and only once, then all of our other attempts afterwards have failed. We've scanned it and it said something about faulty fuel pump circuits, both the primary and secondary. Could this be the thing causing the truck not to start?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Any code that a vehicle is showing is an absolute route to the issue, but sometimes not directly. Working on your own car is a whole different landscape than it used to be. You best bet here is to find a Ford oriented forum and share information about the codes and symptoms, or web searches to glean such.

This could be as simple as a sensor, a new fuel filter, a pump...and it could be far worse.

MajorPager

Upstanding
Aug 8, 2023
I believe we used an OBD-II scanner, Mag Tools branded.
I'd say at least a year or two.
A little over 177,000 miles.

I'll check tomorrow to see if it's a relay issue, we tried switching some of em around before and it showed progress but we didn't continue with it.

Last edited:

MajorPager

Upstanding
Aug 8, 2023
Also, another thing that I noticed was that at any time we tried to start the truck, it would shake around a lot, way more than it normally would have. Any answers to why that is?