Discussion 3D Prints

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
Google these terms: additive manufacturing materials
So if 3d printers can use titanium metal and steel, why couldn't they print a motherboard? It seems like nothing is stopping it from happening, from a raw materials standpoint, but I guess that you would need extreme precision manufacturing to make a motherboard. I guess it would be hard to print the pins on a PGA motherboard at the very least.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Electronics are already being "3D printed". The complexity of a PC motherboard and all of its embedded components may be something we see in the future, but only if the cost/benefit exceeds traditional methods.

Reactions: Order 66

USAFRet

Titan
So if 3d printers can use titanium metal and steel, why couldn't they print a motherboard? It seems like nothing is stopping it from happening, from a raw materials standpoint, but I guess that you would need extreme precision manufacturing to make a motherboard. I guess it would be hard to print the pins on a PGA motherboard at the very least.
They're already machine made.
Current consumer printers lack the material handling needed.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR-DOeAm-PQ

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va3Bfjn4inA

Reactions: Order 66

USAFRet

Titan
OctoGhost
AAgrnpk.jpg

All limbs are fully flexible.

USAFRet

Titan
Bunny.
This is for my eldest sister in law. Her daughter, AKA 'Bunny' passed away few years ago.

This was a test of the new Bambu and software, as far as 'painting' in the application.
White body, grey feet and tail, black eyes.
The grey banding across the eyes is due to insufficient retraction and purge of black, as it switched to white.

CWifFgy.jpg

USAFRet

Titan
Friend is seriously into Mexican Sugar Skulls, from Day of the Dead (DIa de los Muertos) celebrations.

She gets earrings, and this 9" high plaque.

The original creation from the guy who made it
F2cdkkk.png

My representation:
C9znhQ4.jpg

This was done in a single print, 5.5 hours. The colors are just different color filaments, NO 'painting'.

The Bambu Carbon handles all the filament switching.

USAFRet

Titan
Crashed Tie fighter.
1 non stop print (mostly)

22 hrs, 45 min
214 layers
408 Filament changes

200x210mm

The Bambu X1 uses up a significant amount of filament during the change and purge.
The box I use to catch the purge actually filled up and blocked the poop chute. It paused sometime during the night, and waited for me to clear the blockage this morn.

Actual item - 184g
Flushed filament + purge tower - 202g

The Bambu slicer was very accurate in the filament estimate.

YWRC1iB.jpg

GOzBrBJ.jpg

NHDz3Sh.jpg

View: https://i.imgur.com/UirqWfm.mp4

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

USAFRet

Titan
Seems more than reasonable.
Yeah.
Its not nearly as bad as one might think.

And for this, I used some scrap ends of rolls that were mostly too small for anything else.
Hence the sharp color divide on one of the pipes.
The printer senses the end, and pauses to let me put in another spool. It was supposed to fail over to the next spool automagically, but I think I had some setting wrong.

USAFRet

Titan
b-day stuff for the little grandkids
Based on the Mattel Little People

Castle
IVmz1TU.png

160mm tall, about 0.5kg. ($9 of filament)
Single print, about 18 hours.

Dragon inlay on the other side.
VjsPBef.png

Trucks and boat
(all wheels turn)
zj0wrNp.png

67 Shelby Cobra
1ssb8Zm.png

Lizard. Fully articulated.
(225mm long)
lscJrdI.png

Lizard_castle