Question AM5 B650 - Manual CMOS resets needed ?

Thegovahnator

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2015
Hi everyone,

I upgraded to a 7800X3d coming from a 9900K.
When i say upgrade, i don't really fully mean it.

I found the (2017) Z370 Intel Platform very easy to tweak in the BIOS, if i changed a setting and the pc was unable to boot, it auto rebooted 3 times and then the BIOS settings were restored to factory.

With the B650 platform i notice if i even change something really small in the BIOS, the PC does not boot at all and i need to take my screwdriver to jump the CMOS pins..
It feels like being thrown back 15 years into the past.. I like to tweak BIOS settings for OC'ing but this hassle makes it impossible on the AM5 platform.

Is this the normal way of operation? I am regretting my AMD purchase so far and regret selling the 9900k :(

Thegovahnator

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2015
You need to be patient with the AM5 platform since it takes a while to perform the POST process and get to OS GUI/boot to OS. Just to double check, did you reinstall the OS after migrating to the new platform?
Thx for your reply, in fact no, i did not reinstall the OS even though i know that's best practice. Does not seem relate though.

Seems AMD does not have a function for auto default the BIOS after not being able to boot, i dont understand how a "modern" platform lacks this feature.

Last edited: