Question Annoying vibration sound from PC

dennisresevfan

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
I built a new system in a Corsair 4000D case a few days ago. I've noticed something since. Depending on how I position the case on the surface it stands on (basically kitchen worktop material standing on wooden wall brackets), this is either nearly inaudible or incredibly annoying and quite loud.

It's a noise that's hard to describe. It isn't obvious clattering from a dubious fan. It isn't GPU coil whine from my 4090 Strix OC. It seems to be a kind of pulsing resonation.

"Whrrrrn, whrrrrrn, whrrrrn, whrrrrrn" is a reasonable approximation.

My best guess is that the fans are making the case resonate and it in turn is somehow interacting with the desk surface to make an annoying noise. I'm not sure why re-positioning it seems to help.

Any tips? I was considering getting some rubber pads to go under the feet of the case or something similar.

Any specific products that are good for this kind of thing? Some seem to be pretty expensive.

Lutfij

Titan
Grab a sheet of A4 paper, then roll it into a cylinder, hold one end to your ear and the other end to probe for the source of the noise. You can then see if the case is sitting uneven on the former top when compared to another top. Then you can look at a deskmat to help level out the surface or a soft silicone pad.