Question Brother HL-L2380DW connection problems (got LAN working now, WAN for Dropbox not working)

sanman98

Prominent
May 25, 2022
the printer worked fine on old router
upgraded to some ASUS TUF Gaming ax3000 v2
not sure if they've got FreshTomato firmware for that updated with GUI yet, just some backend without GUI
the printer doesn't seem compatible with Wifi 6/AX enabled, or 5GHZ but i even disabled those...and the SSID finally appeared when disabling Wifi 6 but couldn't connect
error 03 or something when it did manage to get the SSID

my printer was connected previously using ethernet just fine
and to Dropbox
not sure if i'll consider any more reliable Printer/Scanner that uses toner

but for now, this I plugged the ethernet in again today and it's not working
i hope the cable didn't get bent. the cable works fine for another device i just tested
I even factory reset the printer and then left it unplugged for a minute or so
re-connected ethernet again and logged into Dropbox and it won't upload (Error 05)

this was all working fine a while ago
i might be able to print on LAN...let me test that
i contacted Brother support about this yet another problem. so it does seem to print now
i've cleaned some of the toner or whatever the wheel tube inside...

There's a Demo button on the main printer touchscreen after the factory reset....It is printing on LAN
but Dropbox or whatever isn't connecting WAN?

sanman98

Prominent
May 25, 2022
wonder if i should do some kind of USB connection or something with a miniPC or an automated shared folder
some workaround to save the files on SyncThing or whatnot

or get a new printer

i see the top right icon Demo is gone now
but it says Wifi still, even though I set ethernet as default
getting error Check Connection

trying the email menu now
"this requires internet connection do you want to proceed?"
yes
and this one actually uploaded after scanning
usually it did error

not sure if i'll get dropbox working again

Last edited:
May 7, 2024
Most printers have the ability to print a networking diagnostic, any luck with that? Not sure what could be going wrong with Ethernet, that should really just be plug and play unless the router is trying to do something weird. The printer should just DHCP as normal, can you see anything on your router interface? Any link lights at all?

As for wireless, I know that if it's an especially old printer there can be incompatibility with security standards. Check your router configuration and attempt downgrading from WPA3 to WPA2 or mixed mode if the stock firmware supports it as your printer does not support WPA3. 802.11ax should be otherwise backwards compatible with 802.11n though which your printer uses and the router should be broadcasting on the 2.4GHz band.

Last edited:

sanman98

Prominent
May 25, 2022
WPA2
yes the router LED is on (port4)

wifi worked with old router
ethernet worked still on new router at least
Dropbox worked until i recently removed ethernet and plugged back later

DHCP seems to have IP - LAN does print
so whatever this WAN dropbox stuff
oh hmm...what if some problem with...idk It connects to Dropbox sometimes, sometimes not at all
and if i get as far as uploading, it fails
but as i said it seems to have done emailing ok...so i'm not sure if this is intermittent or what
giving error03 at some menus and error05 on the upload menu

i've tried all that WIFI stuff, downgraded to 2.4ghz strictly, and disable Wifi 6AX actually allowed SSID to appear but not connect
it's wpa2 anyways already
worked on old router

ethernet is fine...LAN is working now
just to fix whatever some Cloud services are error, didn't used to happen
maybe i try it a few more times

wEhRMIL.jpeg