Question GPU previously used for cryptomining has developed big FPS stutters ?

May 9, 2024
I bought a used RX 5700 XT in january. I knew it had been used for cryptomining, but I met up with the seller in person, and card seemed to do just fine and looked to be in good condition.
Now it started having stutters while gaming, even under fairly light loads, and the stutters have only gotten more prominent with time.

I have done testing with GPU-Z and msi afterburner, and have narrowed the problem down as follows:

First specs:
-Ryzen 5 5600
-Msi b450 tomhawk max
-16gb hyperx fury ddr4 @ 3200Mhz
-beefy and ancient noctua cooler (maybe NH-U12?, even then cpu peak thermals are 70°C)
-Corsair RM750x 80+ gold
-Gigabyte Aorus rx 5700 xt

Testing:
-The problem is most definetly caused by the gpu, since replacing the gpu with my friends 1660s, no such stutters occured
-I don't believe thermals to be the problem, while gaming thermals rarely go over 65°C
-Probably not a PSU issue, gpu voltage seemed normal in logs, even while performance dropped
-While performance dropped, gpu core clocks went as low as 6 Mhz for successive seconds, but never lower than that. At the same time gpu load drops to 0%, and power draw is 1/4 of usual amount. This could be the cause, no?

Absolutely no idea what causes clocks to drop so low. This is is also using the newest drivers. I can probably share the logs if it is of any help.

Apr 19, 2024
Hello.
Due to the fact that the card was an ex "miner" we can suspect that you still have a "miner" optimised BIOS on it.
That means the card won't act as it should in a display environment rather it will run perfectly under "compute".
So in order to eliminate the doubt i suggest to flash the original BIOS back in it.
Then you will use it in some tests.
If the stutter continues after that we can suspect a dying "miner"