Question GTA V getting poor FPS with top notch mobile GPU.

Hemispheres

Commendable
Jul 2, 2021
When I first bought my laptop I tried out GTA V on it and was getting 90~ FPS on 4k Very High Settings.

Now that I've reinstalled the game and attempted to start a new game FPS barely reaches 30.

I've tried disabling E-Cores and installing the newest nvidia drivers. No luck. I don't understand how unisntalling and reinstalling a game could cause a FPS drop.

Specs:
Asus TUF Gaming F15 - FX507ZI Laptop
12700h processer (6 P Cores, 8 E Cores)
32gb 2666 Mhz RAM (Purchased with the slower ram in it)
2TB SDD
RTX 4070 Mobile GPU rated at 140 watts

Is it only GTA or even other games exhibit the same behavior ? Reinstalling shouldn't cause any fps drops, so there must be definitely something going on with the OS, and/or some software might be the culprit.

I presume you must be playing GTA V on the same level of graphics settings/screen resolution as before, and have made no changes whatsoever ? Which GPU driver version are you using for the RTX 4070 ?

Are you sure the game is using the GPU, and not the integrated XE graphics ?

Since you have a Laptop it is highly recommended to first download and install all the drivers from the OEM's support site, instead of using official Nvidia drivers.

Here is the link for your Laptop. If you already using this driver version then it's okay. Else, you could try doing a clean reinstall/rollback of the drivers. I"m not saying doing this will solve the current issue at hand, but there is no harm in trying.

NVIDIA Graphic Driver, Version V31.0.15.3645, dated 2024/03/19::

https://www.asus.com/laptops/for-ga...f15-2023/helpdesk_download?model2Name=FX507ZI

If the issue persists, then most likely something else might be the culprit. How are the Laptop temperature/temp values under gaming load ? Any signs of overheating ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Hemispheres

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
I've never used the mux switch. I use 60hz v-sync on all my games because the CPU gets spikes of 90-95% celsius when maxing out FPS capabilities.
GTA V at <30fps just sounded suspiciously like it was running off the integrated GPU. Might be worth checking Task Manager whilst game is running, and Nvidia Control Panel app settings.

Reactions: Hemispheres

Hemispheres

Commendable
Jul 2, 2021
Is it only GTA or even other games exhibit the same behavior ? Reinstalling shouldn't cause any fps drops, so there must be definitely something going on with the OS, and/or some software might be the culprit.

I presume you must be playing GTA V on the same level of graphics settings/screen resolution as before, and have made no changes whatsoever ? Which GPU driver version are you using for the RTX 4070 ?

Are you sure the game is using the GPU, and not the integrated XE graphics ?

Since you have a Laptop it is highly recommended to first download and install all the drivers from the OEM's support site, instead of using official Nvidia drivers.

Here is the link for your Laptop. If you already using this driver version then it's okay. Else, you could try doing a clean reinstall/rollback of the drivers. I"m not saying doing this will solve the current issue at hand, but there is no harm in trying.

NVIDIA Graphic Driver, Version V31.0.15.3645, dated 2024/03/19::

https://www.asus.com/laptops/for-ga...f15-2023/helpdesk_download?model2Name=FX507ZI

If the issue persists, then most likely something else might be the culprit. How are the Laptop temperature/temp values under gaming load ? Any signs of overheating ?
I'm using an older driver because it allows me play RDR2 without crashing. Out of curiosity I installed the 4/16/24 driver. Didn't work. With E Cores disabled I got 5 extra FPS.

I guess I'll see if it's running off the iris xe next.

Hemispheres

Commendable
Jul 2, 2021
Alright, ran some benchmarks the results are showing that something isn't right with GTA V.

First I selected the game in Nvidia Control Panel and forced it to use the RTX 4070.
My results were as follows.

4k Very High - 25-30fps.
2k Very High - 48-50fps.
1080P Very High - 50-51fps.

Thats terrible considered my old Asus TUF Laptop with a quad core processor and 85watt 3070 Mobile ran the game in 4k at 30fps.

Alright, ran some benchmarks the results are showing that something isn't right with GTA V.

First I selected the game in Nvidia Control Panel and forced it to use the RTX 4070.
My results were as follows.

4k Very High - 25-30fps.
2k Very High - 48-50fps.
1080P Very High - 50-51fps.

Thats terrible considered my old Asus TUF Laptop with a quad core processor and 85watt 3070 Mobile ran the game in 4k at 30fps.

What are your temps while gaming?

Hemispheres

Commendable
Jul 2, 2021
Alright, so I'm reinstalling GTA V while I'm at work and I noticed my GPU is sitting at around 40 percent usage with everything maxed. Will increasing resolution scale fix my problem?

Hemispheres

Commendable
Jul 2, 2021
Alright I fixed the issue after tinkering for about an hour.
Here's what I did.

1) Disable Hyperthreading
2) Changed the game from fullscreen to borderless windowed

Most importantly
3) Change resolution scaled to 1/2.

Now all settings are maxed out and I'm getting 63fps with vsync on.