Question I can't get any display output from my computer. What to do ?

Feb 14, 2024
Mb: Asus M5A78L-M LX Plus
CPU: AMD FX 4200
GPU: ASRock Phantom Gaming RX 560
RAM: Generic 16GB (8GB x2)
PSU: EVGA 550watt

The gpu has worked fine for the last year. The monitor lost signal twice where I could switch PSU on/off and get the PC to boot up. After the third time, within an hour est, of the second, I have not been able to get any display back.

• I have switched between GPU to the MoBo. Nothing.
  • Switched GPUs. Nothing.
  • Switched Monitors. Nothing.
  • Reset CMOS Nothing.
  • Cleaned GPU and RAM connectors. Nothing.

What do I do? What can I do? Help!

Solution
Thank you I appreciate any information and guidance. And id there's a direction I might go with. If anything might be salavageble.

Can a PSU still power up the motherboard and fans even if it's "crapping" out??
What are some reputable PSU vendors? What's a better affordable MoBo to start out with?
Update: remembered I had my old 400w insignia PSU that came with the PC. Pulled out the N1 550w was in the process of hooking the 400w back up when I noticed the CPU power supply connector on the motherboard was half burnt, top 2 burnt, bottom 2 seemingly not. Haven't tried to continue hooking up yet. Wondering if I should. Opinions? BTW I greatly appreciate the input. Thanks yous guys 😀

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

EVGA is the brand of the unit while 550W is the advertised wattage of the PSU. What is the model of the unit and how old is the PSU?

if your discrete GPU powers up ad works on a donor PC, then the issue can be pointed towards your system. You can start by sourcing(borrow, not buy) a reliably built PSU from a friend or neighbor.

Reactions: Tiberius.VII
Feb 14, 2024
All it says for Model # of PSU is 550w I cannot find any other info. Box either. I was looking to do exactly that with the gpu. Test it in another PC. Now I have switched the RX 560 with my older R7 240 it did the same thing

Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

EVGA is the brand of the unit while 550W is the advertised wattage of the PSU. What is the model of the unit and how old is the PSU?

if your discrete GPU powers up ad works on a donor PC, then the issue can be pointed towards your system. You can start by sourcing(borrow, not buy) a reliably built PSU from a friend or neighbor.
All it says for Model # of PSU is 550w I cannot find any other info. Box either. I was looking to do exactly that with the gpu. Test it in another PC. Now I have switched the RX 560 with my older R7 240 it did the same thing....

The PSU a year maybe two years old. It looks like maybe it's an N1 model...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The N1 is an absolutely frightening PSU, so I'd certainly want to test it with another PSU, especially with symptoms that are frequently PSU related. Given the very low-quality PSU, there's also certainly a chance it's taken out the CPU or motherboard.

There's also the possibility that the motherboard has died for non-PSU reasons. This motherboard, along with similar very cheap motherboards using AMD 700-series chipsets, was notorious for being killed by 125W CPUs. We've strongly urged for a decade never to pair a 125W CPU with motherboards like these because a ton of them had very early deaths. Yours is one of the longer-term survivors, but nothing lasts forever.

(But if it wasn't caused by the PSU, the PSU should still be replaced since it's junk).

Feb 14, 2024
All it says for Model # of PSU is 550w I cannot find any other info. Box either. I was looking to do exactly that with the gpu. Test it in another PC. Now I have switched the RX 560 with my older R7 240 it did the same thing....

The PSU a year maybe two years old. It looks like maybe it's an N1 model...

The N1 is an absolutely frightening PSU, so I'd certainly want to test it with another PSU, especially with symptoms that are frequently PSU related. Given the very low-quality PSU, there's also certainly a chance it's taken out the CPU or motherboard.

There's also the possibility that the motherboard has died for non-PSU reasons. This motherboard, along with similar very cheap motherboards using AMD 700-series chipsets, was notorious for being killed by 125W CPUs. We've strongly urged for a decade never to pair a 125W CPU with motherboards like these because a ton of them had very early deaths. Yours is one of the longer-term survivors, but nothing lasts forever.

(But if it wasn't caused by the PSU, the PSU should still be replaced since it's junk).
Thank you I appreciate any information and guidance. And id there's a direction I might go with. If anything might be salavageble.

Feb 14, 2024

What are some reputable PSU vendors? What's a better affordable MoBo to start out with?

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2024

Update: remembered I had my old 400w insignia PSU that came with the PC. Pulled out the N1 550w was in the process of hooking the 400w back up when I noticed the CPU power supply connector on the motherboard was half burnt, top 2 burnt, bottom 2 seemingly not. Haven't tried to continue hooking up yet. Wondering if I should. Opinions? BTW I greatly appreciate the input. Thanks yous guys 😀

Solution