Question Laptop AC Adapters & Plugs - help please

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016
Hi everyone,

We have a few laptops with UK (United Kingdom) AC adapters & plugs (plug type G) and we would like to use the laptops in Europe (plug types C & F, I believe).

These are the laptop models and AC adapter/plug details:

ASUS E203MA-FD017TS
Currently has: AC Adapter Model AD2088M20 (Input 100-240V, 50-60Hz, 0.8A; Output 19V, 1.75A, 33W).

ASUS E210MA-GJ181WS
Currently has: AC Adapter Model AD2131M20 (Input: 100-240V, 50-60Hz, 0.8A; Output: 19V, 1.75A, 33W).

ASUS K3605ZF
Currently has: AC Adapter Model A17-120P2A (Input: 100-240V, 50-60Hz, 2.0A; Output: 20V, 6A, 120W).

What would be the best option for plugging in the laptops in Europe? Would we need to buy new AC adapters/plugs specifically for Europe or can a universal travel adapter be safely used (e.g. like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Skross-World-T ... 00E4GF2TU/)? (Can using universal adapters cause damage to laptops?).

If we do need to get European AC adapters, what specifics should match up to make sure we have the appropriate AC adapter/plug? Are there any specific products/parts you can suggest? I was wondering if it is possible to just buy the plug part with European connection?

I seem to recall in the past travelling with a laptop and using a universal adapter, and plugging it into a extension lead connection (e.g. like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/EU-UK-extensio ... 0BNHDPGX3/) and there were sparks when I inserted the plug (I think the extension lead was powered on when plugging in) - is there something here that is not recommended? Just wondering why there were sparks...

Would be grateful for some advice on the above, thank you
:)

Lutfij

Titan
Can using universal adapters cause damage to laptops?
They shouldn't if your adapter can operate between 120v and 240v, which they should for the past 2 decades, last I checked. By what you've provided, you'll be fine with a travel adapter/universal adapter.

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016
Can using universal adapters cause damage to laptops?
They shouldn't if your adapter can operate between 120v and 240v, which they should for the past 2 decades, last I checked. By what you've provided, you'll be fine with a travel adapter/universal adapter.
Thank you very much Lutfij :)

If we were to be abroad in Europe long-term, would it be better to buy the European AC adapter? Are there any disadvantages in this situation with just using the travel adapter?

Also, just going back to my previous experience, I was travelling in the past with a laptop and using a universal adapter, and plugging it into a extension lead connection (e.g. like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/EU-UK-extensio ... 0BNHDPGX3/) and there were sparks when I inserted the plug (I think the extension lead was powered on when plugging in) - any idea why this might have been? Is it better to plug directly into the wall socket instead of into an extension lead?